7th Ed. On "Displaces" arguments for EotG

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Foolie, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Foolie
    Skink

Foolie New Member

Every so often I see comments on whether or not an EotG gets 4 skinks + priest or 5 skinks + priest based on the interpretation of the word "displaces".

People in the 5 skink + priest camp tend to argue that, like assassins in the DE list, the model "displaced" by the skink priest stays on the engine.

While skimming the Beasts of Chaos army book, I found an interesting counterpoint:

"When permitted, a Tuskgor Chariot can carry a single character, who displaces the Bestigor warrior automatically. The displaced warrior is lost and his value is not refunded"

In this case, displaces explicitly means that a model disappears, in contrast to the use of the word in the DE army book.

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yeah displaced in chariots usually means removes one of the crew. GW have used the word to mean both things, which is a bit silly but I guess it is different authors on different books.

The way I see it, if the 'displacement' happens well before the battle, as is the case for chariots and the steg, then the model displaced was simply never there once the depoyment starts. The DE assassin appears during the battle, so definitely arrives next to an existing model rather than as an existing model. A model isn't going to vanish from the battlefield.

Also, all the EotG that GW have made have had 4 skinks and a priest, and hell I wouldn't want to try to fit an extra model on an already cramped machine.

3. KroxigorsFTW
    Razordon

KroxigorsFTW New Member

What he said.

4. thesecondman
    Temple Guard

thesecondman New Member

An Eotg has one skink priest and 4 skinks, not 5.

5. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Yea, good luck trying to fit 5 Skinks up there lol. :D

6. Eternity_Warden
    Terradon

Eternity_Warden New Member

That would start to feel like the old stegadon...
    :meh:

7. Wolf
    Kroxigor

Wolf Member

Our gaming group came across this problem aswell (having both DE and Lizardmen players :p ) and we looked up the word displace in the dictionary. According to the definition, a model should be removed from the unit/crew. So that's how we've been playing it, one less Skink, but also one less Shade or Black Guard (which seems like a more than fair trade to me :D )

8. strewart
    OldBlood

Hmm well I just looked at the Dark Elf FAQ to see if anyone had asked about whether the assassin removes a model or not, there is no explicite question but there is one that very strongly implies the answer.

The bold bit indicates to me that a Dark Elf assassin most definitely does not cause a model to be removed when he appears. It is rather silly for GW to use the same word to mean two different things, but remember the books are written by different people.

9. TheAncientOne
    Cold One

TheAncientOne New Member

Lol.
    It says in the army book That the stegs have either 5 crew or 4 and a character.

10. strewart
    OldBlood

Where exactly does it say that?

If it did then this wouldn't even be a discussion. It would be somewhat amusing if everyone on the board missed a line that said that. :p

11. TheAncientOne
    Cold One

TheAncientOne New Member

CRAP!!!
    I was SURE it said that... maybe i read it anywhere else.
    Well, at least i've learned my lesson.
    I won't post something unless i read the book 1st...
    :oops: :oops: :oops: :D

12. TheAncientOne
    Cold One

TheAncientOne New Member

Hmmmm.... I went through it again(the staggy parts) and it's not in there... Now where did I read that... Still though... I'm almost CERTAIN The char. takes the place of a crew...
    Hey!!! I'm a BRAVE!!!

13. strewart
    OldBlood

Yes I am almost certain it does too, especially since all of the GW stegadons are shown with 5 models total even if it includes a character. In fact i'm not sure if there are many people at all that use or try to use 5 + character, it is just a question of how the book is written and poor language and inconsistancy from GW. Its much an academic argument.

Congrats on being a brave. :) I wonder what I am.
    Edit: Awww I'm a nothing. Oh well.

14. TheAncientOne
    Cold One

TheAncientOne New Member

Yeah, there's like 10 mistakes in spelling in the book. Honestly, don't they have a spellcheck program.
    And, maybe, just maybe, I read it it a White Dwarf....? Maybe...? Maybe not.

15. TheAncientOne
    Cold One

TheAncientOne New Member

Oh, and Strewart? You are probably a Slann relic priest on carnosaur with kroxigor guards :D :D !I'd add more but g2g really fast!!!!

16. Eternity_Warden
    Terradon

Eternity_Warden New Member

At the very least an Oldblood on Carnosaur with Blade of Realities.

:beaver: