1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One Page Rules Fantasy - thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Izla, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Izla
    Skink

Izla Active Member

https://onepagerules.com/

I've seen this pop up a few times as they provide files for 3D printed minis but has anyone got much experience playing the Age of Fantasy game?

It appears to be a watered down version of Age of Sigmar/WHFB and they have adapted rules to allow square bases and movement trays (hooray!) in their "Regiments" ruleset. It's much simpler and supposedly quicker than WHFB; looks like it could be a good way to get partners/family members into the hobby, especially as units are "activated" alternately so there is very little down time between players' turns (which I love looking at it with my board gamer hat on).

If anyone's given it a shot, let me know how you got on! Thanks.

2. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

It looks like my game group will be trying this out sometime soon. If/when we do, I'll post something here.

Cuetzpal Pilli and Izla like this.
  3. Izla
    Skink

Izla Active Member

That would be great, please let us all know how you get on!

4. PlasmaDavid
    Kroxigor

PlasmaDavid Active Member

Why this thread no work >: (

Have been playing OPR with a few mates very occasionally (the only TT game I do get to play) and whilst it is a good game, and great just to get models moving around, the other day it finally "clicked" with a really excellent game that came right down to the wire. We must have had just the right blend of chaff and elites and a decent terrain spread. After an exciting exchange on the last turn trying to capture each others objectives to prevent a draw we ended up drawn anyway, but then I insisted my wounded general fight simultaneously with his nearby half depleted squad of elite infantry as that would be the logical outcome, and he won by a single wound! The lizardmen failed to secure that particular forested set of ruins from the dryads that day!
    20230110_140027.jpg 20230110_133749.jpg
    Oh and Cold One Riders finally actually DID SOMETHING USEFUL with a marvellous thundering charge that wiped out his elite general bodyguard! All it took was a completely different game system to make them good :D I'll have to finally paint them as a reward... 20230110_140035.jpg

I do have my issues with it being just a tad too simple, missing out on some crunch, but it's really nice to have a game you can teach someone completely in just two games!

Just A Skink and Imrahil like this.
  5. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Saurus Cavalry have worked fine whenever I've used them in 7th and 8th, you just need to use them against the right target. They can chew through standard Core infantry and light cavalry, and can go toe-to-toe with knights and the weaker Monstrous Infantry units just fine.

BrotherSutek and Just A Skink like this.
  6. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Age of Fantasy (and AoF-Regiments) is a fun game. But, I agree that at times it feels a bit too simple. However, I think AoS might have gotten a bit too complex. Still, I'm glad you had a good time! :)

7. PlasmaDavid
    Kroxigor

You never posted your impressions last year.... START TALKING!

Just A Skink likes this.
  8. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

If you meant me, sorry... that's because my miniature game group sort of fell apart. Some of the guys don't seem to like one of our players being so dominant (an undead player). Others have grown tired of big/long battles, preferring Warcry when they play any minis at all. Sigh...

That said, the handful of times I played Age of Fantasy, I enjoyed it. The gameplay is simply and quick. I do wish there was a bit more complexity, and it looks like OPR might be doing that a little with more hero abilities. Spears/phalanx seems VERY good.

PlasmaDavid likes this.
  9. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

I'll have to take a look at this one. I think I will still prefer Oathmark to fill all my rank and flank needs, but I'll take a look.

10. PlasmaDavid
    Kroxigor

OPR has rank and flank version, blobbing version AND a lower model skirmish version too. All three systems for both not-WFB and not-40k.