8th Ed. other trickters shard, help with rules.

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Sunchax, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Sunchax
    Saurus

Sunchax Member

Hello Lustria!

I am hoping for the wisdom of the old once to guide me.

If i have two scar-vets and one of them have a other tricksters shard and they are fighting four dark elves wizards. My scar vet with other tricksters will force all that are in base contact with him to reroll ward saves, (all his attacks will trigger this). But what about my other scar vet? He will have two targets that are in base contact with the tricky scar and 1 target that is not. How is his attacks distributed between those targets?

Let's say that they are engage in the fight in this manor.

(WL)(WL)(WL)(WL)
    ------(SV)(SV)-----

The SV on the left is tricky.

WL = warlock
    SV = scar vet.

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Yea, don't put OTS equiped characters next to other friendly characters with a ward save.
    (because it deffinately effects them)

ps.

(WL)(WL)(WL)(WL)
    ------(SV)(SV)-----

OTS SV forces rerolls
    (SV) friendly SV also forced to reroll
    (WL) one WL gets his regular WS.

3. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

Only the Characters in Base contact with OOTS is forced to reroll succesful ward saves, however you can choose to attack the warlocks who are forced to reroll, and once they rank up they will have to reroll.

This means that in your given example all warlocks have to reroll succesful ward saves, unless the WL champion is the one out of contact with OoTS (since he has to be targeted by himself, or as the remaining model of the unit, in the latter case he would probably have gone into contact with OoTS though!)

4. Sunchax
    Saurus

Sunchax Member

So i can chose to target warlocks that is in contact with OTS with the scar-vet that do not hold this item?

Sweet!

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I doesn't so much target, as it penelazes all models in base contact with him. :shifty:

Ps. there are Special rules and restrictions that come with the word "target"
    I don't believe OTS uses the word "Target".

6. Sunchax
    Saurus

Sunchax Member

Ofc. But the scar vet that do NOT hold the item both have targets that are penalized and targets that are not.

7. eppe
    Kroxigor

eppe Member

You should be able to elect to target only the models in base contact with the model holding the OTS. Once those models are dead the remaining elves should step up and thus become in base contact with the model holding the OTS making them unable to use their ward save. You don't REACH to the back row to kill a model when you do 10 wounds and only 5 models are in the front rank, that back row steps up to come into contact with you.

(WL)(WL)(WL)(WL)
    (WL)(WL)(WL)(WL)
    (WL)(WL)(WL)(WL)
    ------(SV)(SV)-----

Once all the (WL) die the (WL) would move into base contact.

(WL)(WL)(WL)(WL)
    (WL)(WL)(WL)(WL)
    ------(SV)(SV)-----

8. hdctambien
    Terradon

hdctambien Active Member

Yeah, you can pick and choose which models you are attacking as long as they're in base-to-base. Normally all rank-and-file are exactly the same however there are a few exceptions. OTS being one of them. Another similar case is if a Skrox unit fails a Fear test ... skinks in base to base with the Kroxigor are not affected by Fear so they are still WS2, but skinks that are not in base to base with a Krox are WS1 (your opponent can choose which skinks to attack... normally not a big deal unless the Skinks were Speed of Lighted....)

As an additional OTS question, how do you all handle OTS with Parry saves (friendly and enemy)? The guy I usually play with seems to think it's a calculus level of difficulty issue.

9. eppe
    Kroxigor

eppe Member

Parry and Ward aren't the same thing so I don't see how they would change.

10. hdctambien
    Terradon

hdctambien Active Member

A Parry Save is a Ward save just like Finkle was Einhorn.

"If a warrior is fighting with a hand weapon and a shield, then he has a 6+ ward save, representing his chance to parry the blow" BRB Pg 88.