1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Wargames Manufacturers News: Mantic is determined to beat GW at selling something

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

The Norba Heirotitan is great, I just wish they’d re-release the other stuff they originally made in their resin range in their new plastic material (they definitely had a Necrosphinx in that range as well) and make some more Tomb Kings stuff so we have an affordable proxy available...

2. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Amen to that.

3. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

Norba has issues in actually shipping product, or so I'm told.

Armada ships: are those oars I see? why:?

4. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Well, the Curse of Zandri also has oars, because Tomb King vessels are based on the old Egyptian Kebenit galleys that used a mixture of oars and sails to reach the enemy:
    [​IMG]

5. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

I understand that. but those EoD ships look too large for oars to have any effect.

Bowser, ChapterAquila92 and Imrahil like this.
  6. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Mantic Games have recently had one of four quarterly previews for what's coming in their ranges through the year, and in June there is set to be a Salamander range coming (59:08 onwards):

While some of the models in the range will not be usable in Warhammer Fantasy or Age of Sigmar (such as the admittedly impressive-looking Rhinosaur cavalry and the Slasher), the Ceremonial Guard would make great alternative Temple Guard sculpts and the Corsairs would make fun piratey Saurus if that's your army background. Plus there will be a lot more than that on the way because it'll be a full army release, so there may well be some other stuff usable in a Lizardman army coming too. After that it will be Halflings which is annoying because I'm still waiting for them to do Empire of Dust properly, but maybe they'll arrive in the Autumn around Halloween - GW often release something Undead at Halloween so maybe Mantic will be similarly motivated to release their version of Tomb Kings then.

@Itepixcauh will go bonkers for these :D

7. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

They've rereleased their great Necrosphinx model that they originally made in resin, which they had cut production of originally when they switched to making plastic models:
    [​IMG]

Apparently their website still says that it's resin, so I don't know if they've reverted back to making some of their models in resin again or if they've just forgotten to alter the product details for this model (they strike me as always-manana types as a fair few Spanish can be :p)

8. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Norba is....questionable at best.

9. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

PXL_20210417_204200450.jpg War games Atlantic lizardmen with GW lizardmen shield and macahuitil

10. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Nice use of spare bitz! They don’t have the bulkiness of Saurus but they certainly look great as D&D Lizardfolk or Escalonia Lizardkin! Your model specifically or someone else’s?

Tk'ya'pyk, Bowser and ChapterAquila92 like this.
  11. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Mine

12. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

It looks good as a Skink Alpha.

I saw it on Facebook as well.
    Good job

Grrr, Imrahil

13. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Some news from Oathmark with regards to what they’re making this year (this was released in January but I’ve only just found it):
    All of these sound great. The Medieval Celtic Human Infantry are great so I’m certainly looking forward to their Cavalry, Oathmark Dwarves look great too so I’m interested to see what their Light Infantry will be like.

The Oathmark Skeletons look like the Cauldron-born from the Black Cauldron which I really enjoy, and here’s a piece of art they’ve done for the Revenants:
    [​IMG]

Some wonderful La Tene Celtic aesthetics there. Apparently these are on the side of the good guys, fighting to fulfil oaths they swore in life, and their mummified look, their ability to retain the fighting skills they developed in life and elite status all come together to make them look like a combination of Celts, the Dead of Dunharrow and Tomb Kings, which is frankly wonderful. Apparently there will also be Cavalry for these at some point, but for now I’m certainly looking forward to the Infantry.

Light Infantry for their gobbos will also be fun to see, and it’ll be interesting to see what their Orcs look like in relation to the Goblins, who themselves heavily resemble Tolkien Orcs. Perhaps Oathmark Orcs will resemble Uruk-Hai or something.

Regardless, I can’t wait to see all these releases arrive. Oathmark fills me with joy because every faction they’ve developed so far in this range looks great, and there is no faction so far that I dislike, which is frankly amazing given how much I grumble about my least favourite factions in other games :D

EDIT: Beasts of War have managed to procure some early pics of the Revenants and Human Cavalry. Revenants first:
    [​IMG]

These look pretty good, with Celtic Swords, Bronze Age Axes and the champion wearing the Waterloo Helmet. Also their poses are more energetic than the Skeletons, reflecting their combat skills being retained from their days as living soldiers. I’m looking forward to seeing the sprue for the full inventory of parts.

Next the Human Cavalry:
    [​IMG]

Not so many Celtic moustaches as the Infantry set, but I imagine the heads are interchangeable with those in the Infantry box, and I especially like the champion head with the Roman officer’s plume, making these chaps look like Dark Ages Romano-British, who continued to uphold the old Celtic languages and customs before the arrival of the Germanic peoples. Also the horses look brilliant, all in galloping poses.

Another two great sets here, I look forward to seeing them arrive in force! The Human Cavalry are believed to be galloping in at the end of May, while the Revenants will be arising from the barrows sometime in June.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    Bowser, ChapterAquila92 and Imrahil like this.
  14. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

A bit late, I know, but Mantic's Salamander reinforcements have arrived - Tyrants:
    [​IMG]
    Scorchwings:
    [​IMG]
    Rhinosaur Cavalry:
    [​IMG]
    Ghekkotah Skylord on Scorchwing:
    [​IMG]
    And an exclusive Leikelidon (not the best name they could think of :inpain:) plus Ceremonial Guard upgrade parts in the new Battalion set:
    [​IMG]

Wonder what my favourite Kings of War fan @Itepixcauh would think of these? Haven't seen him for a while now.

Certainly an interesting alternative aesthetic to Warhammer Lizardmen, if you want some chunkier, more imposing Saurus these might be the models for you. The Tyrants would make great alternative Kroxigor, though it's a shame they can only be modelled with additional hand weapons - Mantic missed a trick there with giving them only a single weapon option. Don't know if it would be possible to find alternative hand weapons and shields or great weapons for models this size.

BrotherSutek, Bowser, Warden and 3 others like this.
  15. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

These are fantastic.

16. Imrahil
    Slann

I am not a fan of the infantry and Scorchwings models, but those Rhinosaur Cavalry :wideyed::wideyed::wideyed: beautiful!

Grrr, Imrahil

17. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I’m the reverse actually, I think the Tyrants are the best of the lot, while the Rhinosaurs look a bit goofy for my liking. The Scorchwings are OK, but I think they should have looked for something more reptilian to fill the flyer vacancy - I know the Salamanders are meant to be oriented around fire, but Phoenixes and their smaller four-winged cousins don’t fit well in my view.

But, to each their own.

Bowser and Imrahil like this.
  18. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I am in between. :)
    I somewhat like the infantry, somewhat dislike the Scorchwings, and really like the cavalry!

19. Imrahil
    Slann

Exactly :)

Grrr, Imrahil

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  20. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

I like all the models, but since I can't use it I find it hard to get excited about them... :(

Always thought that there should be monstrous cavalry for Lizardmen. I mean, they're freaking dinosaurs for crying out loud!