1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Wargames Manufacturers News: Mantic is determined to beat GW at selling something

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Some nice not-Tyranid models that have been circulating in their news articles for a long time, and should be quite easy to convert into affordable Tyranid Warriors (given that the newer GW box charges about £40 for 3 which is ridiculous).

I'm glad they chose a name that wasn't cheesy in the end, though it's not a patch on the name I submitted in the survey - Khazzzar Thornbacks! I imagine the background text that will be on the back of the box will also be quite generic and basically not-Tyranid, whereas mine took them in a different direction.

2. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

If you read the product page, it's basically what's going to go on the back of the box. And you're right they're basically not-nids

3. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Had a look, most miffed that they included some of the other middle-of-the-road names folk had suggested but not my suggestion, and the background is very generic not-Tyranids. Disappointing, though at least the models make up for it.

Lord-Marcus likes this.
  4. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Agreed, they look like fun models and I'm actually itching to paint up a few myself. I have a soft spot for crabs and I like the look

5. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

6. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

These aren't specifically new, but I love them: Florence Knights by Greebo Games!

warden20221016_blitzbowl_bretonnians 01.jpg

Good for any Bloodbowl themed game. I love how much the knights capture the spirit of lost Bretonnia:

warden20221016_blitzbowl_bretonnians 04.jpg

Also got a kick out of their men-at-arms bearing their shields onto the pitch.

warden20221016_blitzbowl_bretonnians 18.jpg

The rest of my pictures are here.

Check out Greebo Games if you are interested, they have a lot of other cool stuff as well. I am also a fan of their dwarf team: the Thundercougarfalconbeards!
    thundercougarfalconbeard.jpg

7. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Introducing: The Vain, an optional build from the upcoming Landsknect Ogres vain2.jpg vain1.jpg

8. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

This just got posted FB_IMG_1666220702562.jpg

9. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Only 9 in a box? Fewer than I anticipated, though still more than in GW's boxes.

The 4th Edition Empire players will at last be satisfied, I hope.

BrotherSutek likes this.
  10. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

correct, 9.

its also better than mantic's new offering, at 6 x $40 MSRP

11. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Talking of which, we have the new Mantic plastic Ogre Warriors:
    [​IMG]
    The sprue for which contains options for hand weapons and Ironfists/shields, Leadbelcher-style guns and great weapons, giving you options for Bulls (there are no hand weapon left arms for dual-hand-weapon Bulls, but you could convert the Great Weapons to make those), Leadbelchers, Ironguts, and Maneaters if you're willing to get the greenstuff out to give them some elements of interaction with foreigners they've experienced on their travels:
    [​IMG]

They also have released plastic Chariots that could be used to make budget Ironblasters and Scraplaunchers:
    [​IMG]

And a variant of the Warriors box with 'Siege-Breaker' upgrade bitz that could be used to make some seriously rock-hard Maneaters:
    [​IMG]

Though it's the main Ogre Warriors kit that you really want to make up most of your army.

These certainly fix the proportioning issues of the original Mantic models and actually make their Ogre option an appealing route to go down, and the ball-socket neck joint makes me wonder if I could use some spare Lizardman Cold One heads and some greenstuff tails to convert some Dragon-men for a fantasy Dark Ages unit I had in mind (I did also think Kroxigors for a minute but the bodies are not Aztec enough in their adornment). I do prefer these to the Wargames Atlantic ones because the faces seem to be sculpted better, don't look so squat and they weren't designed specially to appeal to a small but rabid group of Empire fanatics, are still slightly cheaper than GW's ones and give you pretty much everything you need to make any of the Ogre options in the Ogre Kingdoms army list, though they do lack some of the character in GW's kits, in that they don't have any Gnoblars hiding in crow's nest standards or straining to carry hunks of meat for their master, but those bitz could always be looted online or from bitz boxes in shops.

These join their recent Empire of Dust models to make a new Ogres vs Tomb Kings starter box for Kings of War:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Featuring 12 Ogres and a Tyrant/Bruiser vs a Tomb King, 40 Skeleton Warriors and 10 Horsemen/Horse Archers, it's a fair old price at £85 but it's still cheaper than GW's FOMO starter boxes by a long way (and gives you more models than the feeble 3-tier sets GW replace the big boxes with after a while).

Also I'm a bit disappointed to see that Mantic are now manufacturing their models in Poland, I always thought they had made theirs in the UK as GW, Warlord, North Star and Gripping Beast do (not to mention Fireforge which is all the more impressive given they're a foreign firm), but then Poland need all the help they can get given that they're sandwiched between the EU-controlling money-leech that is Germany on one side and Nazi Russia and its ally in Belarus on the other.

Plus, North Star are set to release another set of impressive Oathmark plastics, this time it's Goblin Slaves:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Containing suitably raggedy bodies, whips and arms with manacles and chains, I can see these having all sorts of uses, from the Oathmark game itself to Skavenslaves in a Skaven army (a prospect I'm considering given in particular that the kit comes with a lot of slings), Hobgoblins in a Chaos Dwarf army, or could even be converted into human slaves for Ancients, Medieval or fantasy, as the models all seem to wear wrappings on their feet which hide any Goblin-esque clawed toes that would otherwise feature.

12. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Imrahil likes this.
  13. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Huh, 3D printed models... great for those who have them or are willing to buy 3D-printed models from professional printers, not so much for those who aren't.

Looks like the Les Grognards cavalry have finally been teased and they look decent, no boring velociraptor rip-offs. Hope they will appear in plastic multipart kits as well

14. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

The current consensus of opinion is that WGA is intending the horse cav as a digital relief and raptors in plastic later down the line. Nothing has been clarified.

15. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Imrahil likes this.
  16. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

The Damned, a teaser for Atlantic Digital
    [​IMG]

17. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

[​IMG]

18. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

19. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

Hmm, I like this. It looks like I could easily use this as conversion fodder to mix with the Frostgrave Gnolls as well. Looks like the head mounts are the same. Pretty sure I can use the Oathmark Orc bodies too... this is good as it will increase the model variety :D

Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
  20. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

........oh, I have GOT to get my hands on some of these! They look GREAT!!!