1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Paint & Kitbashes (2023) with Suds

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Sudsinabucket, Jan 13, 2023.

1. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

Hey everyone!

I have no expectations for this years blog, other than to let my imagination do its thing, enjoy the hobby, and get some models finished.

I hope you enjoy my paint blog this year, I look forward to sharing my hobby with you all!

If you're interested in checking out my previous blogs here are the links:

2022: https://www.lustria-online.com/threads/suds-2022-paint-kitbash-blog.26382/

2021: https://www.lustria-online.com/threads/suds-2021-catch-up-blog.25537/

2020: https://www.lustria-online.com/threads/suds-painting-kitbashes-of-2020.24028/

My main focus at the moment is the AOS bug race that I'm building that uses both AOS and Tyranid bits (and soon to be necrumadra (sp) models as well - those new dunecrawler mite things are awesome!). Also focusing again a bit more on my Seraphon, and my Lumineth/ Adherents of Haset are on the back burner but always itching to be worked on. So, this year will be a mix match of those, and others as my interest peaks.

Other Factions that may get worked on that i have on hand:

Beasts of Chaos
    Deepkin

EFHILT 167, Warden, JTSleep and 2 others like this.
  2. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Hey everyone! I hope everyone is having a great weekend and January so far. Mine isn't too bad, school has begun so pretty busy with that but still finding some time to paint!

Lately I've been working on a lot of homebrew for AOS, and one faction to come out of it is an insectoid race that I've named the Ravenous Swarm. Led by an ancient death diety which escaped Nagash when he took over Shyish, long story short. For this project I'm using Tyranids from 40k, in large part because I think they fit Shyish fairly well (bone exoskeleton, grousome, etc) and I also just really like the models and offer fun kitbashing potential. I am doing a bit of work on them of course to make them more AOS friendly, which translated to mushrooms instead of the "smoke stacks" as I call them. The idea that the mushrooms feed off the bugs, that can never die, while also offering another layer of protection/weaponry.

I generally make my own rules for my homebrew, but I've decided to just use Seraphon rules with my own lore and such put into the text - so will be busy matching up what is what in the coming weeks. Doing this in part because the bases of both factions are similar/identical, so makes it easy to hust play both factions (if i choose to actually get into 40k). This is more of a passion project, have wanted an insect race for AOS for awhile, and here we go.

This first one is nearly done, still some to go but definitely in the end stages. Next to it is a hatchling-swarm that i had done awhile ago. Been working on the eyes most recently. Base work soon, will just be a Shyish inspired desert, so purple sand, maybe some mushrooms poking out from it. Hoping to have a Gitz running from the bug while stealing a mushroom, if possible lol.

C&C welcome
    20230119_112759.jpg 20230119_114431.jpg 20230120_113954.jpg 20230120_114023.jpg

3. JTSleep
    Stegadon

JTSleep Well-Known Member

That is one nasty bugger! :D

Sudsinabucket and Imrahil like this.
  4. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

I very much love this bug-beast
    The earth-y color of the scales is amazing in combination with the alienic blue/purple tones.

Keep up the great work

Grrr, !mrahil

Sudsinabucket likes this.
  5. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Haha, thank you! Definitely a nasty bugger for sure! Especially that incubation sac o_O

Imrahil likes this.
  6. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thank you! Glad you are enjoying it, do am I, haha! I am having a lot of fun with it for sure, close to done - and of course I'm slowing down xD but, pushing through.

I'm a bit conflicted on the base, but will probably just go simple and just do the Shyish desert idea. I was debatint trying to create a fallen ruin or something, but...

Imrahil likes this.
  7. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Hey everyone! Hope everyone has had a great January so far, mine has been at times stressful but overall real amazing. We finally got some decent snow fall which has really energized my hobby. Something about painting with the snow falling is just cozy and really draws me in. And with that I want to share my first finished model of 2023, my Engine of the Gods, The Engine of Tepok!

Admittedly, most of this was done last year, however the skinks themselves had been neglected and never done, holding up the whole project. I had always planned on a Slann sitting on the howdah ever since I realized that a proper chair wouldn't fit with the Coatl icon on top. It also just feels right to have a Slann riding with such a powerful/rare artifact.

The skinks I went with an orange scheme, as they are beast handlers/crew, so representing Itzl the Old One of beasts with their scheme felt appropriate. I painted the central back scales of one of the skinks a skull white as war paint, just because.

Overall, I am really happy with this model, and have always loved it - I'm just happy to have it finished now! Or, nearly lol i technically have to secure the skinks to the howdah, but no glue atm, so yeah. Done enough for what I do, which is just paint and showcase, for now.

I hope you enjoy, Lord Ka'Rapixca and the Engine of Tepok

Any C&C is welcome.
    20230126_221826.jpg 20230126_222041.jpg 20230126_222016.jpg 20230126_222236.jpg 20230126_222410.jpg 20230126_222341.jpg

8. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Hey everyone! Hopefully it is a good morning/day/evening for you so far, as for me, I'm just waking up but wanted to share what I'm getting into!

With my first EoTg finally built I began the task of building the rest of my skinks, which turned out to be around 30. I decided that with the new book coming I'd split up how i was building them. So I decided on a 20/10 split between Blowpipes and javs, knowing i already had 10 javs built, giving a 20/20 split on what i currently have. I personally prefer the jav look, but the blowpipes are pretty cool too.

Going to be focusing a lot on skinks and saurus warriors this next month, throwing in some larger projects that are nearly done as well - but mainly focusing on infantry for Feb. Waiting on a good day to prime these newly built skinks, but have plenty if others to paint, so that's good :)

Have a wonderful week and happy hobbying! 20230129_234429.jpg

9. Imrahil
    Slann

Nice, I'll join in with painting Seraphon for next month.

What paintingscheme will you be using?
    I seem to remember you have different colored Saurus Warriors done in the past.

Grrr, !mrahil

10. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

That would be awesome for you to join, yay! Very exciting!

As for paint schemes - my Saurus, or many are indeed pretty random from my early days and I may continue that for some. I do however have 3ish primary schemes now also that I'll be using on them, especially the skinks. Its a scheme that was inspired by both colors of Tepok, Itzl, and Tzunki - the Old Ones that my Seraphon primarily hold in higher reverence.

So a a green-ish blue body, and the scales being either amber or a purple. For skinks that handle beasts, their bodies are orange/amber (for Itzl) and the scales either a earthy dark color or war painted white down the spinal scales (as seen on the EoTg).

My Seraphon are beginning to spawn more saurus and skinks again, giving their numbers more uniformity. Where as before, a lot of their numbers came from other Seraphon who had been broken in battle or remnants of a Seraphon civil war in which they found refuge among my Seraphon, hence the multi colored portion of my Saurus.

Here are examples of the primary schemes, and of course the Thunder Lizard icoj, specifically the one known as Tlanextic, on their shields :
    Screenshot_20230130-084205_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20230130-084242_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20230130-084314_Instagram.jpg

11. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Bastiladon skink done, just need to fade the blue hand into the arm to make it feel like magical energy is flowing between the skink and the machine! I am debating now if I'll add the other two skinks, or just keep as is. Was planning a statue/totem with skinks looking out from it, but that may be a bit busy/too much for the base. Other idea is to have the skinka ontop of the Bastiladon's head, we'll see.

Almost done now.

20230131_003035.jpg 20230131_003059.jpg 20230131_004827.jpg 20230131_005008.jpg

I have also primed all my remaining skinks and the shields to my remaining saurus warriors, so will be working on those for what I'm calling the Seraphon Painting Extravaganza! Basically attempting to finish many/all of my Seraphon before the release - or at least whats in this picture (barring the Thunder Lizard, which I'm giving til end of summer/beginning of fall). I told myself this year I wouldn't post a "this is what i wanna get done" pictures because... well... we all know how I am and I just don't want expectations this year placed on myself by myself, but I'm real determined to do this, so breaking that rule for this.

20230130_193259.jpg

Happy Hobbying everyone

12. Imrahil
    Slann

Good thing to break your rule. If you also break the rule of 'not finishing what you started' than it is going to be a good year indeed ;)
    You definitely can do this!!

Grrr, !mrahil

13. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Haha, thats more of a guideline ;) but i hope to break it regardless!

I can do this!

Imrahil likes this.
  14. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Skink test scheme for my blowpipe guys, going for a more green look compared to the blue-green of the other two.

Whatcha think?

More to come! 20230131_121410.jpg

15. Imrahil
    Slann

Nice touch. It makes him look more like an ethereal creature :artist:

Grrr, !mrahil

16. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

I can definitely see that. I updated it a tad, using Moot Green for the crest membrane and some highlights 20230131_180208.jpg

17. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

Looking good!

18. JTSleep
    Stegadon

JTSleep Well-Known Member

Great progress!

19. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thank you both! I appreciate it. More progress to be made today. Just slowly doing the body work on the skinks before beginning the golds and such:)

Imrahil likes this.
  20. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I missed this Slann before... he looks fantastic! Well done on getting him finished! :artist::artist::artist: