1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Paint & Kitbashes (2023) with Suds

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Sudsinabucket, Jan 13, 2023.

1. JTSleep
    Stegadon

JTSleep Well-Known Member

Turning out great! Don't worry about white undercolor, you'll do great.

Sudsinabucket likes this.
  2. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

Thanks! My confidence is a bit higher now after getting the gold on the saddle better lol so hopefully i do ok here too xD

I appreciate the confidence!

Imrahil and JTSleep like this.
  3. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Began my scar vet today. Being blessed by the Old One Tzunki I'm going a bit green heavy on em (admittedly one being a blue-green) and with some loreful dark green back scales. I'm really loving how it is looking so far, i was worried about the sail on the head, but really happy with it now.

Also enjoying how it looks with the saddle so far. 20230404_150524.jpg 20230404_150707.jpg

4. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

I love the devoted to Tzunki look! The sail on his head is very thematic :)
    The gold has a nice warm look to it :artist:

Grrr, !mrahil

5. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thank you man, I really appreciate it! I need to work on the scales a bit more as the dark scales are pretty flat at the moment, but in general I do love how the scheme is working out so far. Did Sotek Green as that Blue-Green which I also did on the spine spikes, helps the dark green stand out more, I think?

Man, I love the sail and how its turned out! Its not perfect, but I do think it gives a feeling of a unique spawn/blessed spawn beyond just a color difference. Just wanted that, as you said thematic vibe for this and for it to stand out.

Gold has definitely come a good ways, a wash of Reikland Fleshshade really helped tone it down some/warm it beyond just a yellow tint. I still prefer my other black primer oriented gold recipe, but I'm happier with this "bright" gold than I was - especially as more color is added around it.

Imrahil likes this.
  6. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Where we have left off since last night :)

Scar vet + saddle/chair are looking good and making good progress on both! I like the orange of the shield also, though still needs work.

Began the Potamiodon (Meaning River Tooth or River Protector) last night, beginning with the pattern on the tail and mid section. Its a bit of a mess atm but with time I think the process will come through and it'll look great.

20230405_104643.jpg 20230405_013350.jpg

Warden and Imrahil like this.
  7. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Doing some eye work! Thought green would work well to help bring in the greens from the saurus and saddle 20230406_163347.jpg

Warden, Imrahil and JTSleep like this.
  8. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Fml. I have some thinking to do.

Might have to wait on the Tontorr (doesnt ship til September anyway, though it is a pretty awesome early bundle atm for it) so i can get the Seraphon box when it comes out.

So conflicted.... both will be about the same price though I imagine, right at that $200 / $250 mark Screenshot_20230407-013446_Chrome.jpg

Warden, Imrahil and JTSleep like this.
  9. JTSleep
    Stegadon

I think that smiling lady is telling you to do it :D
    Also, you'll probably pay for Tontorr now, so there is plenty of time to save more money for new seraphon. :)

Imrahil and Sudsinabucket like this.
  10. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Yeah, the issue I have is the Seraphon box is a savings of over $100 probably, even though I'll be able to get them all eventually. On the flip side, the Tontorr is also a deal right now. Just can't 100% decide which I want more

Plus, I feel a little dirty bringing in another Sauropod when I haven't finished my original Thunder Lizard lol

Ugh, I dunnoooo

11. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

I also wish I knew if the Dread Saurian was just obsolete now or what, because the Tontorr was going to be a dread for my army... so without rules, its just a very very cool model (obviously could still play Conquest with it)

12. JTSleep
    Stegadon

I hear you. I am little hesitant about starting my "dread saurian wannabe" too.

Imrahil and Sudsinabucket like this.
  13. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

*NOT FINISHED* but i really wanted to share it somewhere because finally it is on a base and i dunno, I just love it and wanted to share the progress.

Still to do:

1. Finish base
    2. Finish Howdah Skinks (primed)
    3. Finish plate armor
    4. Finish engine/lightning
    5. Finish Misc. Things I find 20230411_015029.jpg

14. Imrahil
    Slann

This is starting to look so crisp :cool:
    Love this sculpt and the colorscheme is spot on :artist::artist::artist:

Grrr, !mrahil

Sudsinabucket and Warden like this.
  15. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Your Engine of the Gods is looking great!

Dang that thing is impressive :eek::eek:

Sudsinabucket and Imrahil like this.
  16. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Well I have finally finished it, my Engine Of The Gods carried by the mighty Diplodon! This engine is narratively focused in design and is meant to be aligned with the Old One Tzunki, which is a reason for the many greens and blues to represent water, purification, and revival. This project has admittedly taken quite some time, but I think the end piece is well worth the time taken!

Having sculpted significant portions of the body, this was a big project for me. The neck/head didn't cure as I had originally hoped, wishing it to be more straight, however the curvature gained has given it a unique look which I now appreciate. The tail, though not perfect, I think gives that vibe of a whip about to strike, or could strike - a real Diplodocus feel.

The engine itself is interesting in design, in my headcanon it used the moisture in the air or bodies of water to create the lightning that it shoot outwards. Leaning into the lore of Tzunki being a being of the water/rivers, I thought this could be a cool and unique way to approach that, playing off an electric eel - loosely.

The Diplodon itself is a very large animal, classified by the Seraphon as a sub species of Thunder Lizard. First hatched within the hatching grounds of the Lustrated Temple Host, the Diplodon was a first of many different species brought forth to help the Temple Host fight better the forces that warred against them. Their large size offering natural protection against most enemies, but also immense strength to carry engines of war or groups of skinks into battle.

These animals are found in the meadows and lightly forested areas of Ghyran and Ghur if not within Seraphon beast pens, prefering the thick grasses and wild flowers. Favoring areas with large rivers, they are also often found wading within the running waters when not wandering the meadows to feed off the river weeds that grow on the bottom with their long necks. Seen traveling in groups of 5-10, Diplodons are social creatures and are often found working as pairs within Seraphon Temple Cities.

20230424_212702.jpg 20230424_212822.jpg 20230424_234420.jpg 20230424_234533.jpg 20230424_234741.jpg 20230424_235003.jpg

17. JTSleep
    Stegadon

Amazing work!

18. Imrahil
    Slann

Just saw it on Instagram :woot::woot:
    This has become an amazing miniature!!! one to be very proud of.:artist:
    I love the piece of lore as well :)

Grrr, !mrahil

19. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thanks!!

20. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thanks man! Really appreciate it. Been awhile coming, but glad we got here. I want to make a collage of differ points in the process at some point, been a learning time for sure. Excited to work on a display board to properly display and take pictures

Imrahil likes this.