1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Painting and Assembling Separate Pieces

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Gogery, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Gogery
    Saurus

Gogery Member

Hey everyone!

When painting larger kits, often times it is best to leave some pieces separate from each other until after they have been painted in order to make it easier to reach and paint all areas of the model.

So I was wondering, how do most people do this? Do you leave the part that the glue goes on to connect the two pieces bare of paint, or do you not worry about it and paint over those sections too? If you do, does using plastic glue still work even though paint is over top of it, or is it necessary to use super glue?

2. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

I tend to paint the area I'm going to glue. This helps with any gaps that might show up for being all horrible and plasticky. As for what glue to use, I would recommend superglue. Plastic glue should work, but you will risk ruining your paint job as it will melt the paint as well.

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Depends on the model....
    So far I have only painted my stegadon in separate pieces,
    but those bits mostly snap together.

4. Gogery
    Saurus

Gogery Member

Good to know, thanks for the heads up! Have you had any problems with models put together like this falling apart? I don't think it should be a problem, but for some reason sticking together two painted parts worries me. Maybe it's a fear of the paint peeling off that the glue is bonded to, I dont know! :nailbiting:

5. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I find the glue holds, usually just melts the paint away anyways! But I painted the bastiladon in separate pieces and it hasn't fallen apart yet!

6. Gogery
    Saurus

Gogery Member

Super glue too? :eek: Guess I'll just have to be careful!

7. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Not sure, I use the GW thin plastic glue normally.

8. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

Super glue tends to hold well. Not as well as plastic glue mind, what with its tendency to snap on smaller parts if you pull too hard. If you primed the model properly there will be no worry of it peeling off :)

9. Gogery
    Saurus

Gogery Member

Oh okay, confused me there for a second! :wacky:

Awesome, looks like I was worrying for nothing then. Thanks guys! :D

PS: Phoedinn, Bowser, n810, I think all of your armies look great! They inspire me to hunker down and finally paint more of my lizardmen, although right now I'm on a bit of a break from fantasy in favor of a new 40k army so maybe I could go to a small tourny nearbyish without the shame of bringing an all grey army :eek:

n810, Phoedinn and Bowser like this.