1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: What is your favourite Star Trek series?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, May 26, 2021.

?

What is your favourite Star Trek series?

1. The Original Series

2. The Next Generation

3. Deep Space Nine

4. Voyager

5. Enterprise

6. Discovery

7. Picard

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

After having explored our favourite Star Wars trilogy, I thought this one might be fun. Plus, the results of this one are far more unpredictable. I'm genuinely curious which series will win out and by what margin. This has been discussed previously (in several threads) but I don't believe we've had a definitive poll on the subject.

This poll is for the full length live action shows, as such, I've omitted The Animated Series, Short Treks and Lower Decks.

2. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

mmm a hard choice. NG DS9 and voyager are all great.

3. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

For me it's DS9.

The character of Benjamin Sisko is my favourite and I liked what they did with the constant interactions.

4. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I take it you forgot this thread I made not long after I joined:
    https://www.lustria-online.com/thre...-star-trek-series-films-and-characters.19670/

However, for the purposes of this thread, I said DS9, because all of the characters have their good moments and the dark Dominion War story arc really stands out in this series.

Second I would say Enterprise - I've been rewatching it recently and seeing the transition from more 'ordinary' humans to the more disciplined, ethical and moral officers of the Federation is great, plus the Xindi arc, the Temporal Cold War and the Mirror Universe double episode all add some suspense and exciting new material.

Third would be Voyager - seeing all the new Delta Quadrant species (in particular Species 8472 - Star Trek Tyranids!), plus a mega conflict with the Borg and good characters like Neelix and the Doctor make this series enjoyable.

Fourth would be TNG. Though Patrick Stewart is excellent as Captain Picard and we get Q scenes aplenty, Wesley's know-it-all nerdiness and his mother's emotional crises ruin a lot of the series for me.

The Original Series is at the bottom of the rankings for the ones I've seen, because though it has some standout episodes ("Arena", "The Trouble with Tribbles" and "Mirror, Mirror" spring to mind), a lot of them are forgettable.

Discovery I never want to watch because it looks awful and they apparently killed off who promised to be a great captain (Jason Isaacs) in the first few episodes, replacing him with the far inferior Michelle Yeoh.

Picard I do want to see because of course it continues Captain Picard's story, though I'm concerned at the fan objection to it. Is it possible to explain why that's the case without spoiling it too much?

5. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

yes i can. they make the federation into a warmongering evil nightmare autocracy, character assassinate every one who visits from the old shows, and makes everything captain picard ever did pointless. i can go into further detail if you don't mind spoilers
    oh and sideline the title character for a new "super special awesome" lady one

6. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Quite frankly...I agree with everything you said.

Okay, I haven't watched much Star Trek Enterprise, but it's something I want to rectify at some point.

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I did not. I took a quick search of threads prior to creating this one, and did indeed come across yours.

As I stated in my opening post:
    A poll will give us a nice, neat and updated tabulated summary of the topic question.

8. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Oh well, it seems we agree on the ranking. With slightly different reasons but who cares. ;)

9. Cptn Timmy
    Cold One

Cptn Timmy Active Member

I am a lightweight when it comes to star trek and I reallllllly like TNG, the original series brings back so much nostalgia for me I had to pick it. I still remember the row of dvds my dad had that encapsulated the while series and me and my brother just grabbing one at random to sit down and watch.

10. The Great White Lizard
    Chameleon Skink

The Great White Lizard Well-Known Member

Ok, umm don't murder me but I haven't watched any Star Trek at all yet. IDK it just feels like one of those things that is always on your list to watch but you never get around to it.

11. Cptn Timmy
    Cold One

Cptn Timmy Active Member

Lucky for you, that means you can watch it for the first time, an ability I'm sure alot of people wish they could have. Lol.

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Just make sure you don't watch any of the new stuff (Discovery or Picard), or they will probably turn you right off the franchise.

13. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Yeah.... :( sadly this is true...

You can do TNG or DS9 as both stand the test of time, in my opinion.

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

My list:
    1. The Next Generation
    2. Voyager
    3. Deep Space Nine
    4. Original Series
    5. Enterprise
    6. Picard
    7. Discovery

15. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

I've loved Star Trek for most of my life. I've seen all of the original series, Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise. Loved all of them except Enterprise, which I liked, but it was kind of hit or miss with it's plotlines and some individual episodes, and they were starting to do some retcons for clearly PC reasons (Orion slave women were *totally* mind-controlling their "masters" the entire time, we promise we're not mysoginistic!).

Picard and Discovery are utter garbage of the worst kind. They're not just badly and incompetently made, they are *actively* working to subvert and destroy everything about the older series.

But Next Generation would probably be my favorite, followed closely by Deep Space Nine.

16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

[​IMG]

17. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

+1

18. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

I've never seen voyager. I'll have to try that sometime.

19. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

So my friend is making his girlfriend watch Star Trek from the Original Series then the Next Generation then Deep Space Nine...in order.

I'm not sure I would tell someone new to Star Trek to watch the Original Series. The Original Series was revolutionary for it's time but in my opinion it hasn't aged well.

The original series was created as a serial. What was revolutionary for the time is that it is the first futuristic sci-fi franchise where the future was fairly optimistic. Among other things, it was a big deal at the time that the United States and Russia were staunch allies (this was in the middle of the Cold War).

So the Enterprise was a deep space exploration vessel. The Klingons were a Russian allegory villain (this was in the middle of the Cold War). The years of the show were 2265 to 2269 in universe and was made in 1965 to 1969 in real life, so they picked 300 years as a round number. Then they made six movies. There is a joke among trekkies that the even movies were superior to the odd movies. Most of the movies were exactly 300 years after the movie came out, so you know a 1986 movie corresponded with 2286 (so they could explain why all the actors looked 20 years older), but after the original series they stopped doing that.

One strength and weakness of the original series is that it is very episodic. You could watch everything out of order and it would not affect much. My advice is to look up ratings online and cherry pick the most popular original series episode and skip the others.

The Next Generation took the same formula of a ship called the Enterprise exploring Deep Space in the year 2364 rather the tying it to 1987.

The show had more character arcs and some short continuations but the show was so episodic that you could watch it out of order without much confusion.

Deep Space Nine was very different. It was one of the first shows that could be binged because each episode built on the previous episodes (okay there were a few random episodes out of left field but not many) but this made before binge watching was really possible so I think it may have been underappreciated in it's own time. It was set in the 2370s. What I really liked was this series developed alien species, the Bajorans, Cardassians, and Ferengi in detail as opposed to covering the alien briefly in one or two episodes before moving to the next alien. I really like the Bajorans especially. They went from an oppressed race, to a group of freedom fighters, to having a form a new government and deal with the growing pains of that ("Oh no, am I the oppressor now?"). The Bajorans of Star Trek feel more human to me than the humans of Star Trek.

Voyager tried to split the difference between being a continuation and a serial and that's why I have mixed feelings about it. It was also set in the 2370s but the premise of the show is that the ship was flung far far out into unexplored space and the ship was trying to navigate home so they had very little contact with established Star Trek canon because most things they encountered were new.

Enterprise is a prequel. It was set in 2151 but it was made after the stuff in the 2200s and 2300s. I have avoided watching it because prequels can be problematic.

It covers when the human race was just beginning interstellar travel and meeting alien species for the first time. I do like that they had to build relations with the aliens they met as opposed to "Meet Alien X, in episode 4, meet Alien Y in Episode 5."

20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Still a draw at the top. o_O

I figured those would be the two leading contenders!

Lizards of Renown likes this.