8th Ed. Power dice and mor than one army on each side...

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Lord QuXoatl, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Lord QuXoatl
    Jungle Swarm

Lord QuXoatl New Member

We are playing right now a Warhammer campagne, and face the following problem:
    In one area 5 armies clash together: on the one side two armies of the Druchii and on the other one an army of the High Elves and two of the Lizardmen.
    The Options are
    A: change nothing, simply 2D6 and max of 12 dice per site.
    B: 2D6, but each army may have up to 12 dice.
    C: each army generates 2D6, highest die goes to the dispell pool, but a maximum of 12 dice.
    D: each army generates 2D6, highest die goes to the dispell pool, maximum of 12 power dice,but no maximum for the dispell dice.

Wich option would you choose, so both sides do not have an advantage or disadvantage or do you have an other idea for it?

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

It really depends on how much influence you want magic to have and how much magic each side is taking. All the armies you mention have the potential to be pretty decent at magic. I know Storm of Magic goes with 4d6 dice (above 12 allowed) and I think highest 2 for dispel dice, that would be a bit more weighted toward casting though I would imagine.

3. The  Omen
    Saurus

The Omen New Member

Doesn't the BRB have rules on how to do the winds of magic for combined forces already?

4. Lord QuXoatl
    Jungle Swarm

Lord QuXoatl New Member

These rules explain only how one hast to divide the dice, for example if Druchii and Lizardmen would fight together.

5. Lord QuXoatl
    Jungle Swarm

Lord QuXoatl New Member

Strewart, I would like a solution so neither can complain - well, ok, I am sure all will complain what ever solution we find... :)
    The point is, the High Elves (Level 4) and the Lizardmen (each a Slann and one an additional Shaman) go very magic heavy, while the Druchii player has one army with two Level 2 sorceress, and the other army has NO mages at all.
    So the Lizardmen players call to "balance" it, as if they would have gone one on one with their armies. The Druchii player wants to reduce the danger of the magic...

6. BEEGfrog
    Razordon

BEEGfrog Member

I thought rules said 2D6 and split equally between armies.

I don't like this so have house rule of 2D6 and it's a pool, no formal split, one die lost for each full minute of discussion/argument between team mates on who gets to use which dice.

How large are the armies involved? The 2D6/12 dice limit starts to limit the utility of the extra mages available at higher points cost. This can be a good thing. It can be a problem at 5K+. Our house rule is to double magic dice and pool limit at 5K+ and treble at 10K+, as you want to keep the proportions between power and dispel dice.

Increasing magic limits doesn't excessively skew our games as we allow wards and especially MR wards against No. 6 spells. (We allow MR wards against any spell that can cause a wound/kill/removal even when text says no saves of any kind. If text says no save, then except for the no.6 super spells, only the MR ward can be taken.)