8th Ed. power limit + rumination question

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by shahryar, May 26, 2011.

1. shahryar
    Kroxigor

shahryar Member

Well more of a what if scenario to help me understand how these work together.
    If I roll two 6s I will of course be at my limit but if I then cast a spell using 6 die am I then considered at 6 die for the sake of focused rumination or would I still no get that free die?

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

True. Unless in a tournament that has rules against using it, focused rumination gives you an extra power die fro each spell that you cast. So, in your example, if you get the 12 dice, you could use 4 or 5 dice to cast a spell. Then you could start using your extra die for each spell and get more use from the remaining dice.

3. Coatl
    Temple Guard

Coatl New Member

Just to be clear, technically what happens when you have 12 dice for WoM and channeling is as follows:
    you get 12 power dice
    you decide to cast a spell
    you use 3 dice + 1 free dice
    since you are over your 12 power dice cap, you must remove a power dice from your pool
    you then attempt to cast your spell

it is in a sense the same thing as saying "ill just use 4 power dice from the pool and not use rumination" but i just wanted to say what the distinction was. you dont get the option of choosing to use rumination or not, it says you add an extra power dice to each casting attempt, not you MAY add an extra power dice. its not an option but it ends up being the same thing :)

4. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

Even so i still don't think you would loose an actual power dice, the book says any generated dice over 12 are lost since the rumination dice is the one being generated it would seem you loose that dice rather than one from the pool.
    So in your example it would actually be:
    you get 12 power dice
    you decide to cast a spell
    you use 3 dice + 1 free dice
    since you are over your 12 power dice cap, you must remove your free dice
    you then attempt to cast your spell

5. shahryar
    Kroxigor

shahryar Member

so it would end up being
    3 power pool
    +1 rumination
    -1 rumination do to over cap
    = casting using 3 dice.

6. walach
    Razordon

walach New Member

yeah, pretty much.

easier IMO to consider it as follows: if you're at 12 dice, you can't use rumination on your first spell that phase. simples?

7. Cravenus
    Cold One

Cravenus New Member

Lizardmen with a slann and the extra die ability, have a power die pool limit of 11. no fuss, no muss.

8. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

Either way the effect would be the same.

9. Coatl
    Temple Guard

Coatl New Member

umm i think we're in agreement here, but your still looking at it in an odd way. the "free" dice from rumination is added to the casting attempt, not the pool. the brb states if you are over 12 power dice at any point, you must remove the excess from your power pool. these are separate points. so when you add the free dice to your casting attempt, youd be over 12, and therefore must remove the a dice from your power pool. so itd be like i stated before:
    12 power pool
    3 to cast
    +1 from rumination
    -1 from pool
    total of 4 for the cast, 8 left in your pool

10. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

Same difference. In the end rumination wont matter as the same amount of dice are removed from the paal as youy rolled to cast.

11. Idura
    Saurus

Idura New Member

This will probably only matter when you run with special rules (only possible to generate 2pd per WoM phase) for example... :(