8th Ed. Priests in close combat

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Crillaz, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Crillaz
    Cold One

Crillaz Member

Can a wizard in close combat either alone or in a unit cast spells in the magic phase?

/Crillaz

2. hdctambien
    Terradon

hdctambien Active Member

Yes*.

* You cannot cast Magic Missiles if you are in combat. You *can* cast Direct Damage, Hex, and Augment Spells.
    You cannot *target* a unit that is in Close Combat with Magic Missiles or Direct Damage (but you can with Hex and Augments)

3. Crillaz
    Cold One

Crillaz Member

Ok, thank you.

Seems to me that no casting would make more sense, since his mind and hands are busy fighting.

/crillaz

4. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

Except that a skink priest is smart enough to know how much they suck in CC. By casting spells, the skink priest at least has the satisfaction of knowing they contribute something to the battle other than free combat res from T2 and no saves :D

5. Sleboda
    Troglodon

Sleboda Active Member

Yeah, the moment you start looking at playing Warhammer by "what makes sense" is the moment your mind is lost to Chaos.

The rules often either don't make sense at all or, more likely, don't make sense in a personal narrative for one person but are perfectly reasonable in someone else's personal narrative. Best to put 'sense' aside and just go with the rules.

6. Crillaz
    Cold One

Crillaz Member

Actually, the reason why I asked about the close combat thing was because of the discussion in an other thread about the wizard hat. I am curious to try it out on an OB. Seems fun to play with. :)

Maybe chaos is the way to go. Seems to be the "invincible army" and doesn't it feel like in the fluff that in the end all will be chaos…hmm, or more of a chaos then it already is.

/Crillaz

7. ruevein
    Skink

ruevein New Member

I have a question on this, can we still use bound spells in close combat? (e.g. Bastilladons Solar Engine?)

8. Sleboda
    Troglodon

Sleboda Active Member

The spell still follows the rules for its type, regardless of being Bound.