8th Ed. Probably a dumb question, but...

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Rokanos, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

Rokanos Well-Known Member

When a saurus unit (or any infantry for that matter) is using spears and is engaged in CC, are they considered to have switched to HW+SH after the first round of combat or still using spears?

There is commentary and arguements about this all the time at the shop I go to, and I personally think they still use the spears while in cc, but I just want to be sure so I can put an end to all the pointless banter!

Basically the arguement boils down to whether the unit gets the 6+ ward save or not. (and whether the shield counts towards their armor save)

Thanks!

Also, a question I've had for a few days (and another thing everyone at my shop has no idea about) is whether skink handlers get to fight in CC?

2. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

In 8th if you have an upgraded weapon then you are not allowed to EVER switch to hw+sh. You still get the shield armor save against ranged, but you will never get the 6+ ward save in cc if you have spears. Not in front of my book so I can't give you a page number.

If you check the Monsters and Handlers rule, then yes the skink handlers get to attack in cc and can not be targeted. All attacks against the unit are directed at the sally/razordon stat line.

3. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

So then in CC, saurus with spears get only a 5+save, but a 4+save against ranged? and saurus with HW+SH gets the 4+ save all around with the 6+ ward/parry save? Correct?

Thanks for the quick reply! Appreciate it :smug:

4. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Something else to note is that with an extra handler, all 4 handlers + the salamanders get to attack. This is part of the reason that sallies rock in 8th. It is better to keep them out of combat if you can. A flank shot from them is amazingly effective.

5. Skinklord
    Skink

Skinklord New Member

Saurus with spears gets 4+ save (5+ scaly skin + shield). Spears do not require two hands.

6. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

Gotcha! thanks again!

7. The  Omen
    Saurus

The Omen New Member

Are you sure on that one? Didn;t used to be the case in 7th and nobody I've heard has stated that they are now 1 handed. Don't have my RB on me so I can't check this but it's a nice change if they are 1 handed now.

8. Larinus
    Chameleon Skink

Larinus New Member

I do believe that spears have always been one handed, halberds are two handed however. Only Temple Guard have halberds.

9. Xul
    Temple Guard

Xul New Member

concerning upgraded weapons, I think the rule you mentioned only applies to characters, who have a magic weapon. If I am not mistaken, normal troops may choose before combat start, which weapon they are using. then they have to fight the whole combat with that weapon. send the page number, if you find it.

10. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

You are mistaken. Pg. 89 first sentence.

11. Xul
    Temple Guard

Xul New Member

thanks for correcting me. I need to talk to some HE general, who kept convincing me this is only for characters ;)