8th Ed. Problem with rules

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Labarna, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Labarna
    Skink

Labarna Member

Hello, I am still beginner and need help with some problems. Now there are more theoretical, but later maybe I will need them.

1, How many times I can use salamanders flame attack? Only one per battle, or one per round? I think its flame attack, but is ruled as breath attack, then one per round, correct?

2, Champions of units with room for magic items, can wear things from all categories (except arcane ones, because they are not wizards).

3, After successful casting of spell, which saves I can use? Armour, ward? Because I found only rule Magic Resistance and there is written, value of MR is added to WS, when it is used as save throw against spell of enemy.

Thank a lot, I hope those questions arent so stupid :)

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

PS. I'M NOT YELLING i JUST WANTED THE TEXT TO BE DIFFERENT. :)

3. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

1. How many times I can use salamanders flame attack?
    Each Salamander can shoot flames one time each shooting phase.

2. Champions of units with room for magic items, can wear things from all categories (except arcane ones, because they are not wizards).
    Correct.

3. After successful casting of spell, which saves I can use?
    Spells will say what saves are ignored, if any. Otherwise, you always get an Armour and/or Ward Save.
    Yes, if model has Magic Resistance it is added to his Ward Save.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

4. Labarna
    Skink

Labarna Member

Thanks a lot, of course it helped, and now I have some new questions :D

1, Mistcast roll is played only after two 6 in casting phase, not in dispell phase ( after, two 6, or two 1)?
    2, Always strike first rule has priority in charge too? Then a defending unit with ASF rule attacks before unit, which is charging?
    3, Unit with higher iniciative every time can re-roll its negative rolls to hit in fight?
    4 When is written in text of spell (Flames of the Phoenix from HE magic): unit suffers wound immediately, this is meaning without using saves?

Thank again, yesterday I had my first battle vs HE and those thing above were ours biggest problem.
    But after all, I love this game :smug: :smug:

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Yea fighting against HE is a real up hill battle. :(

6. cerebros
    Skink

cerebros New Member

Yes, Always Strikes First does exactly what it says on the tin. Charging no longer has anything to do with the order units hit at (although it obviously does still provide other benefits to some units)

A unit with Always Strikes First which has initiative that is equal to or higher than their opponent will re-roll failed misses in combat unless:

1) their opponent also has Always Strikes First (in which case both sides strike at the same time with no re-rolls from ASF)
    or
    2) they have also have the Always Strikes Last rule due to carrying Great Weapons (excepting High Elves) or as the result of a spell or other special rule such as the Aura of Frost (can't remember the exact name) from the Ogre Kingdoms monster

Just to clarify, Flames of the Phoenix inflicts a hit immediately, not a wound. This means that instead of having to roll to hit (like you would iwith most combat or shooting attacks) you skip that and go straight to rolling to wound.

If your spell said "takes a wound immediately" that would mean there is no rolling to hit or wound and you progress straight on to taking your armour and regeneration or or ward saves, unless the wording of the spell says you do not get to take these saves (or the strenght of the attack or a Special Rule invoked by the spell elminates one of those saves - e.g. if the effects of the spell are Flaming then that Special Rule would stop you being able to take regeneration saves)

7. Labarna
    Skink

Labarna Member

Ok, thanks. I am not native speaker, thus i have problems with syntax and sense nuances of English language, which are used.

n810: It wasn't very nice game, mainly in magic, where I had spells of Heaves 1 and 2 and he has lore of HE with 5 and 6 :chicken:, but after killing his mage with blood statuette of spite, battle became more balanced.
    Now I am changing some thing, add salamanders,more sk skirmishers and making sc-vet little bit stronger.

8. Labarna
    Skink

Labarna Member

After second battle, I am back with more questions.

1,Charge Flank attack on my unit, can they use a shield?

2, Reaver bow of HE:is longbow, bearer can shoot 3 times at the same target in each his shooting phase and any hits are resolved at str. 5

He must roll for every one hit, all procedure, and my character can use in every time Hey Sir look rule when he is in unit (priest in skirmisher"s unit)),or only on first time?

3, Please, how I can defend me skink priest before shooting of HE (normal, or similar like this one above) Also I need some for making me lizard faster, or better protected from shooting or something (I play iceshard storm, Chotek standart, salamanders).
    Second problem are units of Swordsmans of Hoeth.

Thank again.

9. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

No parry on attacks coming from the flank or rear.
    This checks out.
    He can't even target him unless he has the sniper rule, if you have less than 5 RNF models left you allocate the hits.
    That should actually work, other optionas are lightslaaan or lifeslaan, an engine is also possible.
    Saurus, or in units of 10 or less a charging stegadon.

10. BEEGfrog
    Razordon

BEEGfrog Member

You do get increase in AS but do not get the additional parry ward from HW&Sh as Hoverboy says

11. Labarna
    Skink

Labarna Member

Another round of questions

1, Can I use Wind Blast on a unit with scout rule to take it out from forest?

2, Rule of Gor-rok shield. When he joins a unit, all models in are count as they are staying behind obstacle, or this rule is used only for Gor-rok?

3, Priest on EoG, he has plus 1 lvl to wizard and plus one dice to casting and dispeling?

Thanks again :)

12. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

Yes, if there is nothing preventing the unit from moving.

He only gets +1 to cast and dispell but not a lvl, check the FAQ for details.

13. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

2)
    i cant find anything that implies that the bonuses would apply to the unit.

14. Samo
    Skink

Samo New Member

Hey,
    I am back with some problem, again :rolleyes:

1, When steg with EoG uses its ability, which gives ward same to units in around, its also counting for that steg? Because form text, its seem EoG producing something, as energy copula.
    2, How directly is used drop rock of terradons? First, unit must move (vanguard for example) and then can drop rocks everywhere on battlefield? And after dropping, they can stay on same place, or must go on place of dropping, or some another move/ action?
    3, I still have problem with my old profile Labarna, cant use my old password and is impossible sending a new pasword mail. Can someone help me with this?

Thanks Labarna

15. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

1. Yes the Ward applies to everything with in the bubble of the effect, that includes the Steg.

2. I don't use Terradons, but my understanding is it is and out of sequence shooting that is done in the movement phase. As you fly over a unit while moving you drop rocks on that unit as you pass over and land beyond the target unit.

3. I would direct message one of the site managers or email the webmaster.

16. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

Sorry that you're having issues. I'll send this to Sammy and see what we can do for you.

- Lord Cedric

17. Samo
    Skink

Samo New Member

Ah, then, I must fly over the unit, which I want bombing with rocks?

Thanks you, for everything mainly for problem with password.

18. Samo
    Skink

Samo New Member

Sorry, I did the mistake and report this message, I hope not make a problems.

19. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

No problem. I took care of the report. Though, I will say, at first I was a bit miffed then I saw what your additional comments were in the report and then understood. hehe. Accidents happen. Hey.. at least you now know how to file a report! :smug:

- Lord Cedric

20. Durandal
    Cold One

Durandal Member