8th Ed. protection against scream

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by forlustria, Sep 26, 2011.

1. forlustria
    Ripperdactil

forlustria Well-Known Member

does the EOTG ward save against ranged attacks work against terrogheist scream?

also does the light spell (think it pha proction) work against the death shreik aswell?

2. cyanhawk
    Chameleon Skink

cyanhawk New Member

If it protects against ranged specifically and the scream is listed as a ranged attack I would say it counts. I don't have the Terrorgheist specific rules wording in front of me, but I would give the ward save for it.

3. MI_Tiger
    Temple Guard

MI_Tiger Member

I don't know the specifics of the Terrorgheist's scream, but if it works like the Banshee's Ghostly Howl, I would say you do NOT get the ward save if you are in Close Combat with the Terrorgheist/Banshee (but you would if you are not in CC and meet the 12" from the engine requirement).

It gets a bit confusing since the rules don't use the same terminolgy: "Shooting" vs. "Ranged". Normally they are the same thing, but the Ghostly Howl is a shooting attack that can be used in Close Combat, so it is not necessarily "ranged".

4. Questioner
    Saurus

Questioner New Member

MI_Tiger has it right. You would indeed get the ward save, unless the unit is in combat with the Gheist.

5. forlustria
    Ripperdactil

ah but the scream is done in the shooting phase not the combat phase like a breath weapon does that change anything?

6. Questioner
    Saurus

Questioner New Member

I would not think so, as when in combat, a screamer can only scream at the unit it is engaged with.

Not that is is too much of a problem, Lizardmen have good leadership.

7. forlustria
    Ripperdactil

ok i think you missed my point (my fault not explained very well.

example 1

terrorgheist in combat with skinks , these skinks are within 12 inches of the EOTG steg (he uses the 5+ ward against ranged attacks on them) . terrorgheist screams rolls a1 and a 2 and has full wounds so that scores 9 . a skink has a leadership of 6 so thats 3 wounds caused on skinks do they get the 5+ ward or even a parry save if they are normal skinks?

example 2

the same as above but the terrogheist isnt in combat but 8inches away

8. BEEGfrog
    Razordon

BEEGfrog Member

A ranged attack is an attack with a range. The issue here is whether there needs to be separation or is it sufficient for the attack to have a range.

In this case I would argue that if the attack takes place into combat during the shooting phase then the ward would apply as the attack should count as a ranged attack where the range happened to be zero. If the attack takes place during the close combat phase then the ward would not apply as the attack would be a mele attack using a weapon that can also be used for shooting attacks.

9. forlustria
    Ripperdactil

ok so they would get the save in both then as the death shreik is only used in the shooting phase. It can be used if the terrogheist is in combat but its still used in the shooting phase.