8th Ed. Question on Becalming Cognition

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Mountain Mammoth, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Mountain Mammoth
    Jungle Swarm

Mountain Mammoth New Member

When your slann removes 6s with becalming cognition, is he making the enemy mage immune to miscasts as well as irresistible force?

2. Chicken Basket
    Skink

Chicken Basket New Member

That's the way that I've understood it. It seems like you'd avoid taking this now to have them miscast, but remember if they fail to cast a spell that wizard is done for the turn. Removing 6's can still change the tide of a game it just isn't as potent as 7th edition.

3. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

I beg to differ, I would say it is more potent in 8th. Sure they can no longer miscast, but failing to meet the casting value of a spell and no longer casting that turn is huge. You are also making it almost impossible to cast the huge spells with 20+ casting cost. And if they get those off they can be game changing much more so then a miscast.

4. Skrox
    Cold One

Skrox New Member

Remember that when you roll a pair of sixes it doesn't matter if you still fail to reach the casting value, it is successfully cast with irresistible force. A well placed wizard will most likely lose only one wound (and hit no one else) with an irresistible force spell, but chances are the spell they get off will be more devastating.

5. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

Umm it doesn't go irresistible if they discard sixes from becalming cogitation though.

6. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

I believe he was referring to the situation where a mage gets lucky and rolls double 6 and doesn't get up to the casting value. I think his point was that Becalming will prevent this situation.

Reading this thread has me sold on the idea of Becalming Cogitation, which officially means I'm back to the same discipline configuration as in 7th ed. Mages will be placed now in ways that will mitigate the miscasts to a large extent anyway. It also puts a damper on the kamikazee level 1 mages who manage to roll up purple sun of xereus, then keep spamming 6 dice casts hoping for the double 6.

7. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

Ahh ya if I read it that way then it makes sense in the context of the thread.

The other reason I like becalming cogitation more in 8th is that opponents will always have more PD then you have DD. There is no way around this, but with becalming you can mitigate that to an extent. Even if they get the spell of and you remove only 1 dice roll of a 6, that is less DD that you have to try and use from your limited pool.