1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Questions about terrain (lots of it or few?)

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Bracnos, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

So i have not played a game yet but as i read the rules, it seams to me that you should have a whole bunch of terrain peaces on the table when you play...

Since i can only get my gaming fix right now by watching battle reps i see most of them have nearly bare fields. Allowing big mobs to splash against each other. I feel it would be more entertaining with a lot of trees/buildings/rivers. What do you all think?

but i just saw a game of Horus Heresy and from Miniwargaming and they had a busy table, i know its not the same game but have any of you played a AOS game with a table set up like that..

there is link to it so you can see what i mean

2. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Bainbow Well-Known Member

Oh yes, use terrain. Use lots of terrain. My local shop has a nice balance of fields, canyons, choke points, and even floating islands where you can position some archers to gleefully pop away at the enemy from 50 feet in the air. It makes the game much more fun and immersive, while offering up much more depth as you both have to work around the terrain and can make use of the terrain for strategic gain, adding this whole new layer of tactical thought.

3. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Tough I don't play much I think terrain is kinda necessary for a good game experience! I would add to the above mentioned I would say it looks really good if you have some nice pieces of terrain on the table!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

We played yesterday and added terrain, it makes the game more strategic there were 2 points on the board where you could only fit 5 models through, I choked that entrance and killed 40 saurus warriors winning the game.

Me and Archie have spent all Sunday afternoon making some wall sections and a ruined temple so we can really get the table full of scenery, it really adds fun to the game and it's brilliant if you make your own.

5. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Often a good way to go about it is that the quickest route through the terrain is a choke point in some way, great for defending but not so great for attacking hordes. However the terrain should be placed so that you can get those hordes to your opponent's side by going around, even if it takes a turn longer.

Or you can just do what me and my friend did yesterday and make an elaborate and thin highway bridge out of the Dreadfort pieces and populate it was as many cavalry pieces and vehicles as you can in order to play a game of Age of Mad Max.

6. Crowsfoot
    Slann

I sat 20 black orcs at the choke point with my shaman behind, Archie kept pushing Warriors into the Orcs, I lost 2 Orcs, after the game We always look back and try and work out what was good or bad, Archie straight away said "I should have come round and flanked you" I thought wow he is getting it.

He will beast me soon.

Bainbow likes this.
  7. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

We tied a small Clanrat to the front of my pal's Corpse Cart all Mad Max style and the objective was for me to retrieve him. On the last turn I managed to get an assassin to wallrun up the Dreadfort Highway wall from behind the Cart, pulling off a sweet double somersault (because we agreed that that's what would happen if I rolled a 6 on the Dangerous Terrain test I had to take climbing) only to get smacked in the face as the Cart used a one-use-only ability where on a 3+ its driver grabbed the Clanrat and used him as a living weapon to bludgeon my assassin for D3 Mortal Wounds, of course he rolled a 5 for the wounds. However the Assassin totally wrecked the Cart in one attack, strapped the clanrat to his back, and dove headfirst off the wall to safety.

It was a bizarre game.

Bracnos and Crowsfoot like this.
  8. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Terrain = Hurrah. I love building terrain. More is better. I also like creating pieces that can be cobbled together to make a greater whole. By stacking, interlocking, or nesting.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  9. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

this is awesome is great to hear from you people that you like using a bunch of terrain. I hope to either by and make a lot of train myself once I complete my lizardmen. For now I'm still looking on YouTube to see if I can find any battle reps( full battle raps not the one that just use will be back at the end of the turn or the beginning of the turn). With a lot of train :)

Bainbow and Crowsfoot like this.
  10. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Couple of pics of the terrain we made yesterday,

Wall sections 4 of each type,

l 002.JPG

Arcane temple/ruins

l 003.JPG

These will be painted tonight ;)

11. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Pic of the near finished ruins :)

gobbo 002.JPG

12. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

StealthKnightSteg Well-Known Member

That looks awesome!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  13. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Thanks just got a bit of scatter material to add and a wash to the skull.

14. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

Unfortunately I fear my own ability to create terrain too much... and my wallet isn't good enough to get all those nice pieces of production terrain..

15. Crowsfoot
    Slann

I thought the same but once you start it is pretty easy, cork board for a base, UHU glue, plaster bricks, paint, flock, job done.

I have the making terrain book by GW and while it's old it has some very useful tips and tricks in it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/How-To-Ma...225911?hash=item2ca74a4eb7:g:gFQAAOxyOlhSt0rU

16. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

17. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Wow that looks great, I'm making a Orruk fortress atm and want to make some rock formations, that link will come in handy. :)

18. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Another argument pro terrain! Looks great!

19. Crowsfoot
    Slann

No way!

It really is easy once you get into it, I'm loving the terrain side atm, Our dining room table is starting to look great on a Sunday afternoon.

20. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Wow looking good I might have to pic up that book or something g liek it