7th Ed. randomizing EotG Burning alignment

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by wappellious, Oct 13, 2009.

1. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

I was wondering if hits from a burning aligment burst are supposed to be randomized if the unit being hit has characters or any minis with different stat profiles.

For example, a character in a unit... a herald, Karl Franz, a magic user... anyone with a different set of stats than the rank and file.

I am assuming that if one of my skink/kroxigor units was hit with burning aligment, you would have to randomize. I never even thought about it applying to someone else! It was during my last game against Brettonians that the other player asked me if we should randomize, since he had lords, damsels, etc., in all his units of knights. This lead us to another question... would such a character get a 'look out sir' roll? If so, what if he is hit multiple times? Does that mean he only gets the one LoS roll? We just did it against rank and file, since it was a whole lot easier.

I would love it if heralds could get nailed, since I play against demons most of the time. :blackalien: I have another core competency match against demons tomorrow, preparing yet again for the big 5 round 2 day event in November! Army lists are due Thursday.

2. ColdBlood666
    Chameleon Skink

ColdBlood666 New Member

I think the burning alignment is randomized like shooting. If there is 5 rank and file and a character then im pretty sure you would randomize 1-5 hitting the unit and 6 hitting the character. Yea I beleive that all characters benefit from the look out sir but ONLY if the weapon in question is a template weapon. But im pretty sure that there needs to be atleast 5 rank and file in order for a character to benefit from look out sir, so if the unit is made up of multiple characters then hits would just be randomized between them. Also if they had all joined a unit and the unit is now dead then all the characters would seperate as you cannot have units of characters running around unless its some army special rule or something.

Hope this helps a little.

3. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

Thanks very much for that clarification! It will help a lot. I find it interesting that a lot of 'old timer' players have never mentioned randomizing, but the Brettonian player, who is basically a rookie, would ask right away.

I suppose that I will have to start doing this for drop rocks as well, since the FAQ said that it counts as a shooting attack. Nice, since I like to have 9-12 terradons flying around! Yea!

It will be nice to get to randomize on someone else for a change! Geeze, I am always having a million missile weapons coming my way, picking off priests and kroxes. I don't know if this will change my normal strategies at all, but I might be able to clear out some of these nasty characters that hide everywhere!

Didn't the old skaven book allow the player to hide a wizard in the back of a unit and still cast spells and such?

4. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Remember that randomization only kicks in once the target unit falls below 5 rank and file troops. Champions don't count toward this number.

5. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

Thanks!

Is that Unit strength, or less than 5 physical minis? Just asking since cavalry units tend to get below 5 pretty fast, but the unit strength remains doubled for combat rez. More so when they are my saurus cavalry that spend the first 2 turns of the game stupid until they die :beaver:

6. ColdBlood666
    Chameleon Skink

ColdBlood666 New Member

Yes caneghem is correct. If there is atleast 5 rank and file left in the unit then hits wont be randomized between the unit and characters but will all hit the unit. But as soon as rank and file fall below 5 models then randomization takes place from then on. I guess its better at that point if the unit is not in combat for the character to jump ship and join up with a larger unit for better protection.

Yea it would be 5 physical models and not unit strength.

7. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

I assumed that was the case, but I just wanted to be sure.

There are a lot of 'hidden' rules in the BRB. I look through it almost every day to try and anticipate what sort of crazy multiple combats might emerge, which in turn get bungled up by army special rules, fleeing units, etc.

No matter what, it always seems that some thing slips through that net.

We have been randomizing when a unit would be down to standard bearers, champs, musicians, and such.

Thanks again!