1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recently finished painting Seraphon 'Start Collecting' box!

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Forechosen, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Forechosen
    Jungle Swarm

Forechosen New Member

Hey everyone, absolutely first post here.. so.. hello!

I thought this would be the best place to show off my recently painted (small) Seraphon army! Gosh, it was so much fun painting these guys, especially the Carnosaur and the little Skink dude (I absolutely love this model). Having said that... the bases... they were not fun - _ -

I'd genuinely really love any criticism whatsoever regarding these minis - from the painting technique, to the basing, or even how I've photographed them. Absolutely anything!

I'd also be more than happy to answer any questions on how I did anything.

Honestly, these guys are up for sale if anybody is interested. But I'm not holding out much hope on that - I'd more just love to hear your feedback :D

Thank you so much for looking!

YJqr0Ua.jpg lfbdp3h.jpg OcTMnrU.jpg VhLLD3T.jpg m8LGUDA.jpg upyqPzZ.jpg CElq4vC.jpg wegwgwg.jpg

Dragvindel, Noieter, Warden and 7 others like this.
  2. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

Lovely paint jobs! Did you use an airbrush? What colors did you use for the saurus?

Warden and Forechosen like this.
  3. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

Explodingzeb Well-Known Member

Really nice paint job on these, congrats! I really like the bases too, how come you didn't enjoy making them?

4. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Wow, awesome painting:artist::artist:

Smooth color transitions! I love how they look. Very nice and detailed bases as well.
    Great work overall.

I'd like to see more of your work ;)

Grrr, Imrahil

5. Forechosen
    Jungle Swarm

Forechosen New Member

Thank you! I did use an airbrush, but really it was only used a lot on the shields and the Carnosaur's scales, to get that transition from orange to purple. It was obviously used a little for some other things too (the skink's tail, the Carnosaur's 'skin', amongst other things), but the orange to purple were the main places.

The Saurus 'skin' (not the scales) was done with Baharoth Blue base, with a very diluted Talassar Blue wash over the top. The Scales were done with Akhelian Green contrast paint.

Buuuut, this was the first time I'd ever used contrast paints, and I wasn't happy at all with the scales! They turned out very 'heavy' looking, there was no subtlety at all. Maybe I applied too much/too little contrast paint? Maybe Akhelian Green just doesn't work like that? I don't know - but if I paint more Saurus scales I'll do them differently!

(p.s. just ask if you'd like any more details! I assumed you just wanted the skin colors!)

Thank you!! Oh these bases are giving me the shivers just remembering them xD So basically every little spot on every single base is covered from some plant I picked from the garden outside.

I'd go outside, pick the smallest, most exotic-looking plants I could see, and then dry them out in the oven. Then tweezer each individual plant/leaf/root on to each base, gluing them on with wood glue.. Each Saurus Warrior base took around an hour (or more!), the riders double that.. The Carnosaur, don't ask! :confused:

Thank you so much! I've been thinking about setting up an instagram account, but I'm not sure if anybody would ever look at it!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  6. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

That is very intricate work indeed, but man does it pay of in the end... marvelous bases, they are.

Grrr, Imrahil

Warden, Explodingzeb and Forechosen like this.
  7. Forechosen
    Jungle Swarm

Forechosen New Member

Ahh thank you :) I really wanted to go for a proper 'jungle' look. Aquarium plants were a little big and bulky for my tastes, and smaller jungle plants specifically made for miniatures were so expensive, so yeah, I ended up with this method!

I swear, ordinary garden moss is the best thing ever. It hardly loses it's color when you dry it out, and it's so versatile - you can pick it apart, or clump it up and it really does look like tiny plants.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    Warden and Imrahil like this.
  8. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Truly some inspiring work; the skin on those saurus looks almost ghostly! :walkingdead:

Well done! :artist:

Imrahil likes this.
  9. elcidfrikeador
    Jungle Swarm

elcidfrikeador New Member

Wow! Lovely colors!

The carno is so really really fantastic.