7th Ed. Red Hot Flame of the Salamander

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by pinkskink, Dec 30, 2009.

1. pinkskink
    Skink

pinkskink New Member

Alright, I have yet to use any Salamanders because I bought the really cool Razordons when they came out. They have done great most of the times I've used them. However, after recieving some Salamanders for Christmas and seeing (for the most part) that most of you guys seem to prefer Salamanders over Razordons, I've got some questions to ask before I try playing them.

1. Can you simply just put the flame template at the Salamanders mouth and choose not to roll for the added range?

2. When you do roll for the added ranged, does the line you draw from the mouth to the Template still affect the unit? For instance, you roll an eight on the artillary die and a unit between the Salamander and the eight inch increase gets hit along the line?

2. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

no to both, you have to roll the art dice becuase the book says so... i know it sucks :p and its clearley explained that the flames can overshoot a target so unfortunately only what the template lands on is hit....
    what i would like to know is why salamanders are seen as better than razordons, the later seem more reliable

3. msinosic
    Kroxigor

msinosic New Member

Reasons why the Salamander is/appears to be better:

-3 Armor save compared to -1 (due to Strength Hits 4)
    Template gives auto hits (if an accurate shot) compared to 1-5 (2-10 hits from artillery dice that could miss).
    Range of 10-18 (+8 Template length + Artillery dice) compared to 12

4. pinkskink
    Skink

pinkskink New Member

I've posted lists and seen other posted lists where someone has a Razordon instead of a Salamander, and multiple people say to switch the two because the Salamander is more reliable. I'll run my Razordons as Salamanders this week with my buddies and see how they do.

5. martino503
    Skink

martino503 New Member

it depends how you are facing like against heavy armored people ill chose salamanders against hoard army's ill choose razadons...ya so it depends how you are facing :meh:

6. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

For all comers lists, like the kind you take to tournaments, Salamanders are more likely to be useful. Also most people find that razordons need units of 3 to become useful, while salamanders get by fairly well with just a single fire lizard per unit. They are more cost efficient, which again is useful when creating tournament lists. There are times when razordons are better, but not as often as salamanders.

7. the ironfoot
    Cold One

the ironfoot New Member

Sorry to take over the topic, but i have a question concering Salamanders as well, In the Razordon entry it is specifically stated that they cannot march and shoot, how is this with Salamanders? It's not in the entry I believe...I could be wrong though :p So can they march and shoot? That would seriously rock! :D

8. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

no shooting weapon can march and shoot unless specifically stated so in the rules.
    the lizardmen errata says that is not a breath attack so they can not march and shoot

9. the ironfoot
    Cold One

the ironfoot New Member

thanks, That's as clear as can be :D Now I hate my friends Hydra even more :meh: