1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Regen and how to counter it

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by laribold, Jun 17, 2015.

1. laribold
    Cold One

laribold Active Member

I'm having real issues at the moment dealing with Regen units.
    Large troll units in particular are giving me nightmares.

The abject lack of flaming outside of magic and sallies (neither of which are particularly great or reliable) means that we have to deal with this stuff before it hits combat.

So how are people dealing with regen? I'm not even convinced that ScarVets are the answer here tbh (vomit attacks anyone?).

2. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Actually if one really want to use a cowboy the other tricker helm and talisman of preservation can help. You'll take 4 vomits at S5 which is rerolls due to helmet so on average you take one wound. Of you keep a high magic slann nearby you can easily heal up that 1 wound every other round.

Alternatively hit them with the uber spell from high magic or fire with salamander followed by skinks.
    If you want to just stop then you need to kill the general because stupidity at Ld3 or whatever is cruel.
    You can also take flaming banner on templeguards and eliminate them all in one round. They have I1 so there damage output will be greatly reduced.

The more safe route would be to redirect with skinks.

I do suppose shadow magi could be good. Initiative spells will hurt and reduction of their strenght will reduce their efficiency by a lot. Shadow magi. Can maybe take out their general on distance in which case it's basically GG WP.

How big of a unit are we talking? Horde?

3. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

yeah, scar vets go down to trolls!!! (but usually not in one round if they have a ward).

You just have to wittle them down before combat, and i probably dont have to explain how to do that.

Even better is to dont fight them at all.

Just remember that Orcs & Goblins have very low leadership and they rely heavily on the General. And this is especially true for Trolls as they are stupid with LD5. So a few things that you can do is.....

1..pin the general in place, delay him, force him to move where he doesn't want (often he will be in the frenzied savage orcs) and the Trolls cannnot move anymore. (Killing the general is off course even better).

2. Same goes for the BSB...Orc generals normally have LD 9 and without rerolls the Trolls will fail stupidity tests often enough. But BSB and general tend to be in the same unit anyway. So it will be two for the price of one. :)

3. Along the same lines, force the Trolls outside of the LD bubble. Block their movement with a unit of skirmishers, so he will have to charge, preferably in a direction the General cannot move to with ease.

anyway....you have to isolate them. And then a single scarvet can do the trick (preferably vs flank).

And dont forget, when the general is baby sitting the trolls he cant babysit anything else, so if you cant isolate the trolls, isolate the rest of his army.

4. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

Trolls?

Pit of shades or Purple sun :p

borkbork likes this.
  5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Fire leach bolas, salamanders, flame ring, flaming banner, magic, Engine of the Gods, & Solardon.
    I believe theses all do fire damage.

6. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

And dont forget, that as soon as they suffer a wound from fire, they cant regen for the rest of the phase.

So, sally first....then other shooting

7. Agrem
    Kroxigor

Agrem Active Member

Fireleech bolas should give most bang for the buck for this job. :)

BR
    Agrem

8. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

I almost always take the banner of Eternal Flame with my all comers list on my TG, the cons are a lot less then the pros. My meta has a lot of regen, WoC with Throgg is mainstay, so that is how i deal with it.

9. Hasael
    Skink

Hasael Member

In France trolls are very common, I personaly play avoidance lists so I don't have any TG or Eternal flame. My way of dealing with it is to redirect one pack the entire game, and full focus the second one with shooting (salamanders + poison) and magic (WD, so fireball...). It's a bit hard but I usually finish the focused pack while the rest of the O&G only eat skinks. The hard part is to survive during magic and shooting phase... Doomdrivers, Foot of Gork, etc...

WoC trolls are less common in my meta, but I go the same way against ;)
    Hope that help,

Hasael

10. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

About the only time I'd recommend taking Fireleech bolas is fighting an opponent fond of lots of trolls. The short range is a liability against most other things, but you can do a one-two punch, fireleech bolas followed up by traditional Skink shooting to soften up trolls a fair bit.

11. Ixt
    Troglodon

Ixt Well-Known Member

Solardon or EotG, then a super-powered Soul Quench... that's the only "all-comers" option I can think of. Do you normally field Slann?

Aside from that, either redirect or grind them mofos down with Saurus. If he's got Throgg, challenge that big ugly with a champ. He'll either take Throgg's super-vomit for the team, or buy you a turn to get a [flank] charge off.

Like Scalenex said, Fireleech bolas are nice with some follow-up. Maybe Razordons would be good here with the Regen knocked out.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015