8th Ed. Regeneration for the Slann

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Libina, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Libina
    Skink

Libina New Member

Hey guys.

I'm having a problem seeing the point in picking regeneration as one of the Slanns diciplines. It gives the Slaan the 'regeneration' special rule, which in the rulebook says that it can regenerate on a 4+. The thing is, that the rulebook also states, that regeneration and ward save doesn't stack, so I can't see why you'd wanna pick regeneration when the Slaan already have the +4 ward save.

Am I missing any special rules or something? Cause it really doesn't make sense to me.

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

you got it,
    Nobody goes for regeneration anymore....
    if they can get a better wardsave.

3. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I would bet that will be one of the desciplines that goes away altogether when the Lizardmen rulebook gets an update.

4. Mahtis
    Cold One

Mahtis New Member

Or make it a 3+ regen, so it would be taken. But being pretty darn good save it could have a drawback, like being flammable. But still think it will be left out.

5. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

We can take an enchanted item that turns our 4+ into a 2+ for less points. It will probably be left out. Too many ward save options. Its already basically out without much effect.

6. Rhodium
    Kroxigor

Rhodium New Member

It is a relic from a previous edition where you could use a ward and a regen, similar to the HE special character Tyrion who has a 4+ ward and 4+ regen. Because you can choose to use either there are some situations where it might be useful (banishment, other tricksters shard) but it is really a very poor discipline in 8th edition

7. Switchblade
    Saurus

Switchblade New Member

I prefer Regen over the Magic Res anyday, as Magic Res only applies for spells, whereas Regen is all-around, yes it can be nuked by fire, but how many people actually bring flaming weapons unless they're playing skaven or TK? Little things like the Banner of Eternal Flame are the first to go when squeezing points.

8. Rhodium
    Kroxigor

Rhodium New Member

Magic res doesn't come into this, a slann has a natural 4+ ward save against everything so 4+ regen would very rarely ever be more beneficial than the ward because the ward comes free and the regen costs a discipline slot.

Even saying this, magic res would be more useful on a slann than the regen regardless because if the slann had the mr3 disicpline let's say, he has a 1+ ward against magic and 4+ ward against shooting and close combat, while with regen you only get 4+ regen against magic, shooting and close combat.

So considering both take up one discipline slot, the magic res 3 discipline is more useful than the regen discipline, not to mention the MR3 is passed onto the unit.

But really neither discipline is worth taking, there are much better options

9. Libina
    Skink

Libina New Member

All right. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss some kind of nice special rule that allowed the Slann to have both regeneration and ward save. Thanks for the help guys. ;)

10. Switchblade
    Saurus

Switchblade New Member

All paths lead to this, in complete agreement.

11. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

My ethereal slann disagrees with you. He quite likes having 1+ ward against magic.

12. Rhodium
    Kroxigor

Rhodium New Member

I guess so, when I run an ethereal I take the divine plaque (a 2+ ward is the same as a 1+ ward) as it is cheaper but I guess it eats into your points allowance and the enchanted slot.

My point was generally, focus of mystery, higher state, rumination and becalming are 4 better disciplines

13. Durandal
    Cold One

Durandal Member

It was pretty cool back in the day, if you wanted a near-untouchable lone Slann. 2++/4++ ward, regen, and could only be hit by magical attacks? Crazy.