1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Removing bases

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Lizerd, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

so I am still prepping for the leap into fantasy, and the first big step is to rebase all my models, starting with my line infantry. I can still use it for AoS as I only play in small tournaments, not huge ones. The advantage for AoS is that I can pack in more guys and with a movement tray make it somewhat more movable. So does anyone have any methods to removing the model from the base without destroying either?

And last question is stuff on movement trays: any links are welcome (just not eBay, that place is full of characters)

2. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

It is not quite clear in the initial post whether the rebasing is:

Round ===to==> Square
    Square ===to==> Round

Litko (www.litko.com) is your friend when it comes to rebasing and move trays.

Lizerd likes this.
  3. bOdziO Wolf
    Ripperdactil

bOdziO Wolf Well-Known Member

I think I had the same problem, but I had to rebase and disjoint few elements like shield and hands for other reasons (mainly due to badly done assembly by the previous owner).
    A very sharp and thin blade was my friend through the process, but I had to use extreme care and proceed very slowly. Don't remember how do you call one in English, but I used this: https://www.shan.com.pl/noz-do-tapet-nozyk-ostrze-duzy-mf11318-z-metalowa-prowadnica-p-1478.html (shop link)

Now how to do it, because its not simply cutting:
    * find a spot where a foot leaves a bit of space between the base and the model and it looks solid (since all lizards are digigrade that should be back of the foot most of the time), stay away from protruding elements, such as claws or you will damage them
    * alternate between making a small cut targeting rather the base than the model (this way you will cut mostly the glue or base and not the lizard foot itself) and movement to increase the gap (watch out to not break the blade!)
    * if the foot vs base area is big alternate not only the movements, but also between feet to damage the glue equally and to not damage the other foot if you suddenly succeed with the first one

At this point you should have a disjointed model and the base and the model feet will have a bit of excess glue or even basing material on them. Remove that with file if needed as you want to have a plane surface on the feet again.

Its not as scary as it looks first and once I did that with bases I did that with shields and even hands.

Lizerd likes this.
  4. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

@pendrake Im going from round to square. Thanks for the link, I am looking around at movement trays and there are definitely a few that appeal to me :)

@bOdziO Wolf so I think you are referring to a knife, either an x-acto or scalpel. I have both, but my scalpel is significantly more sharp so probably should be using that. Your advice and procedure guide is excellent, and as soon as I get back home and get the new bases I am going to give it a try, so huge thanks!

5. pendrake
    Skink Priest

[​IMG]
    Knives like these ^ have several descriptions in English. Depends on whose English. (It's almost as bad as crackers, scones, and biscuits.)

But:
    • Snap blade knife
    • Snap blade utility knife
    • Snap blade box cutter
    • Disposable blade knife
    ...Are all possibilities.

bOdziO Wolf and Lizerd like this.
  6. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

I like knives, knives are almost as fun as fire :)

7. bOdziO Wolf
    Ripperdactil

bOdziO Wolf Well-Known Member

Note sure if you tried that already, but I can confirm the same procedure works for separating feet from this horizontal piece of plastic made for bases with the slot.

Lizerd likes this.
  8. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

I have yet to try that, as normally I just clip off the plastic but thanks for the idea as in the future I am getting a bunch of skinks

9. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I made some cheap-and-easy movement trays before, some for my Lizardmen saurus and saurus cavalry, and some colorful ones for my Bretonnians.

10. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Those look incredible! I may not be or may not be replicating that for my movement trays to come (yeah I’m replicating them)

11. spess
    Cold One

spess Well-Known Member

A little bit of nail polish remover can really help out! I used an eyedropper to splash a few drops at the feet of the model and let it sit there for a minute, and then it was much easier to cut the mini off the base.

For bases, all of my minis are magnetized so I use metal roofing shingles as trays. Super easy!

bOdziO Wolf and Lizerd like this.
  12. pendrake
    Skink Priest

@spess are there pictures of these metal roof shingle move trays any where?

@Lizerd any before/afters you can show? How are you getting on with this?

Lizerd likes this.
  13. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

So I have put this project on the back burner, as I had a surprise unloading of a huge amount of models (and more are en route) how ever I have just picked up the square 25mm bases so I do have plans to get some work done today

14. spess
    Cold One

spess Well-Known Member

@pendrake yes! Here's one from my painting blog holding the skinks:

trays.JPG

The actual trays themselves are called "Galvanized Steel Flashing Shingles", and are only ~50 cents a pop.

Imrahil, Warden and Lizerd like this.
  15. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Alright first one done. Not easy

Also that tray looks awesome!

16. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Nice magnet work!

Lizerd likes this.