1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Return of the Squats

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Karak Norn Clansman, Nov 18, 2022.

1. Karak Norn Clansman
    Troglodon

Karak Norn Clansman Well-Known Member

Codex Impressions

The codex is sweet poetry. It is not only the concept with the new Leagues of Votann that is right, but the presentation itself is polished. It is so Dwarven!

I'm sold. Dwarves and science fiction belong together. Who else would tame stars and carry out mining around black holes? Who else would crack planets to harvest the glowing remains in long processor lines in outer space? Who else could thrive as voidnomads and creators of pragmatic wonders across the starspangled nightsky?

Dwarves and spacefaring do marry. At last a tale where Dwarves do not face their glide into slow doom. At last a tale where their genius and thorough hard work raise them far above others, on high to material achievements of which sagas will be sung.

The triumph of the Kin in the long run is phenomenal. They are basically living in hardy Dwarf heaven, as if beleaguered fantasy Dwarfs had died and came to an afterlife where their genius and thorough toil could lift them well above the longshanking rabble. :D

I'm laughing all the way to the bank. This codex is one of the best things to ever be written for Warhammer 40'000, and one of the most Dwarven tomes I've ever had the pleasure to read. And it's in space!

[​IMG]

2. Karak Norn Clansman
    Troglodon

Free Will or Perfect Tool: On the Origins of the Kin

One sign of the new Leagues of Votann codex being well-written, may be the better background discussions which arise around it to wrestle with the origins of the Squats in 40k.

A core theme of the question marks about the Kin and their beginnings, revolves around free will and slavery. To be clear, the codex itself presents the Kin (called Squats by Imperials and Demiurg by Tau) from their own point of view, revolving around kinship, ancestors and perfectionist work to mine and forge marvels across the stars. The explicit part of the codex contains wondrous vistas of Kin astral mining success in the galactic core, touches on cultural development among ancestors to foster perfectionism, and also delves into crazy themes such as acquisitive Kin showing no regard for others living on planets which they have deemed worthy of strip-mining for mineral wealth; the prior mineral assessments include present infrastructure on the planet, as so much junk to salvage.

Yet there are implicit themes in the codex, with quasi-corporate heraldry being a nod to Squat origins, and with a remarkably ordered society bred through centralized cloneskeins. What can be read between the lines present a fascinating part of the mysterious background, a worthwhile discussion of which starts around here in a thread on Dakkadakka.

To pick a succinct post by Mad Doc Grotsnik that drills down to the hidden horror hinted at by the Squat background writing:

The tongue-in-cheek counterpoint being something of the following:

Now, what do you think?

Regardless of stance, the fertile fields of reasonable speculation provided by the background is a sign that this time around, Games Workshop did Squats right.

Cheers

[​IMG]

3. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Have GW really finally defined Squats and Demiurg as both being different names for Votann? Because if so that is a masterstroke.

Glad to see you're so impressed by the Votann, I certainly agree they have a lot of potential. Though personally if I were to collect them, I would have to work out how I could convert the infantry units from Kharadron, because the Kharadron I think look more Dwarfy with their short, rotund bodies and armoured diving suits, while as nice as the Votann models are, some of them are a bit too similar to Space Marines, as if they are GW's attempt at a replacement for the firstborn Marines which will likely eventually be phased out in favour of Primaris :(

Karak Norn Clansman likes this.
  4. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

i really need to dig their 40k bg, it seems...

5. Karak Norn Clansman
    Troglodon

Yep, it's right there explicitly among the first pages of background. Squats and Demiurg are different names for the same space Dwarves. :)

Yeah, Kharadron are excellent Space Dwarves and should be a blast to convert. Go for it! I plan to convert some as well later on. I'm not fully sold on the NASA-punk style for the new Squats. I very much appreciate that it's part of doing something of substance with the Squats (not just Dwarfs in space, and delving into Dark Age of Technology exploration era aesthetics - it's good for the setting as a whole), but I think there should be a lot more Dwarf in it. Well, I'm converting those NASA-punk Squats, too. Kharadron will join them later, and they will require a lot less converting.

@Killer Angel : Diggy-diggy hole style!

6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

That was exactly the idea. :D