8th Ed. Ripperdactyl riders

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Arraine, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Arraine
    Skink

Arraine New Member

Hey everyone, a few questions about the new Ripperdacyl riders:

Ripperdactyl Rider has 1 wound, Ripperdactyl has 2 wounds. Does that mean the model has 3 wounds and in that case, can you target the rider and the mount separately or do I just use the 2 wounds of the Ripperdactyl?

Similar question arises when an enemy calculates their hits and wounds. The ripperdactyl has higher WS and toughness, do I use those two for all attacks?

Cheers for the answers

2. Darius the Insane
    Skink

Darius the Insane New Member

I believe that you always use the highest available ie. you would use WS3, T4, Ld 5 and you only get the 2 wounds from the mount, once they are gone the model is gone.

Could somebody confirm that as I don't have the BRB on me.

3. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Ripperdactyls are Monstrous Cavalry. You use the Toughness and Wounds of the mount, Armor Save of the rider.

Both mount and rider have separate attacks. Attacks against the model go against the WS of the rider.

Look in the BRB under Monstrous Cavalry.

4. Arraine
    Skink

Arraine New Member

Thanks a lot

5. Pofadder
    Cold One

Pofadder Member

@Darius

They are T3 only, I know right...feels like they should be T4 but sadly not...

So yes for toughness & wounds we use the highest on the split profile, rider & mount use their own WS though and own iniative for attacking. Only for spell tests like pit of shades do you use the highest ie skink ini.

6. Darius the Insane
    Skink

Darius the Insane New Member

OMG I actually had to grab the book and check that. That is unacceptable, I think I'm actually in shock lol I can't believe they are not T4, maybe I just looked at the strength and saw two 4's. Someone called them glass cannons in a different thread..........they were right.......and this makes me sad :depressed:

7. Lizardmatt
    Troglodon

Lizardmatt New Member

Calling Ripperdactyles cannons is generous.
    Calling them glass is dead on.

-Matt

8. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

I have been experimenting with multiple units of rippers and they tend to be rock, paper, scissors in most games. Against low armour save S3or4/T3 troops with toad rage they are absolutely devastating while against ogres and WoC they tend to get the short end of the stick. However, here are a few rules I try to follow to get the most out of them:

a) Only send them after toad rage targets - the extra attacks and re-roll to hits can lay a beating on just about anything since a MSU will average 15 x S4, AP, killing blow attacks.

b) Hit the flanks unless on a suicide run - minimizes attacks back while allowing all ripper attacks to go through.

c) Magic buffs - priority for buffs is:

1) Initiative - if they don't strike first, don't expect the 4+ AS to keep them alive long enough to dish out the pain. A combo of hand of glory and miasma works extremely well. A surprisingly sneaky trick is to march and/or walk between worlds a beastie boy to within 6" of them. This allows them to start at I4 which is enough for anything short of elves and WoC.

2) Wyssans - Markedly increases the damage potential and slight improve in defence to T4.

3) Hexes - iceshard blizzard and pha's protection are quite good. Another sneaky option is curse of anraheir. Not only will your opponent be -1 to hit but they will also all take dangerous terrain checks and fail on a 5+ if they pursue or even reform.

4) Boosted Hand of glory/miasma to affect WS. If the rippers already have initiative, this can actually become the primary goal against low WS/I troops like ogres/undead.

d) be prepared to lose them to counter charges or active combat res as, at the end of the day, they are a WS2/T3 unit!!