1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Ripperdactyls in a <1500 pt army.

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by alex_brown92, Aug 26, 2015.

1. alex_brown92
    Skink

alex_brown92 New Member

Hi everyone.

I have recently purchased some ripperdactyls for my lizardmen army. My army is tiny because I refuse to buy to many models without painting them (I have made that mistake before and ended up with a 2500pt orcs and goblins army with shed loads of night goblins that never got painted - I am a VERY slow painter and usually very busy).

My models so far are as follows

Scar vet on cold one
    Scar vet/Oldblood on foot
    Skink priest x 2
    Skink chief with BSB
    Tetto'eko

Skink skirmishers x 10
    Skink cohort (if using tetto)/ skirmishers x 10
    Chameleons x 5
    Saurus Warriors x 24
    stegadon (built with giant bow).

Can anyone offer any suggestions for how I might use a unit of 3 ripperdactyls with a small army likely with the models above? (obviously cant include all those heroes - its just what I have). My main opponent is a dwarf player and he will usually take at least 2 war machines. I am worried that they will get shot down very quickly. Thanks in advance :D

2. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I recommend you take a Heavens priest in every army. Iceshard blizzard his war machines. Especially Organ Guns which will tear up Rippers easier than the others. Iceshard Blizzard will also soften the blow from a large unit of crossbowmen or thunderers (assuming he fields them at 1500 points)

If you take Tetto'eko and Vanguard your Saurus Warriors right in your enemy's face, he'll have bigger concerns than your Rippers. And Tet will give you full access to the Lore of Heavens. Really Tetto'eko is so good it's almost broken.

If you deploy your Cold One riding Scar Vet solo (cowboy style) give him the Armor of Destiny for the 4+ Ward save. Make sure your cowboy and Rippers come at the Dwarfs from opposite directions. It will be hard to kill both.

alex_brown92 and n810 like this.
  3. alex_brown92
    Skink

alex_brown92 New Member

That's why I love Tetto. He seems a really good slann alternative for small points games. Can't really have a slann with such a small army.

Forgot about the armour of destiny. Is it in the lizardmen army book or is it a common magical item?

Thanks for the strategy, it confirms I was on the right trick although I was originally going to run my Scar vet in the unit of saurus warriors. I do want to extend my army with some salamanders but I really hate the look of the models :/

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

It's a magic item from the BRB.

5. alex_brown92
    Skink

alex_brown92 New Member

Thanks but...What does BRB stand for? :p Terrible with acronyms. I have been a dormant lizardmen Warhammer player awakened recently.
    Also what the hell is chaff? haha

6. skink chief
    Kroxigor

skink chief Active Member

BRB is the normal rulebook for all armies to follow. Chaff is low value units such as a group of zombies for example. For us it is small units of skink cohorts or skink skirmish units. They are mostly used to redirect opponents units you don't want to fight at that time.

alex_brown92 likes this.
  7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

BRB stands for "Big Red Book" or "Big Rule Book". In either even it refers to the main rule book.

Chaff refers to small expendable units used for redirection, sacrifice and harassment. Examples: small units of skink cohorts, Great Eagles, Chaos Warhounds, etc.

There are admittedly quite a few acronyms floating around this forum. You may find this useful...
    http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/lustria-online-glossary-of-terms-and-acronyms.14565/

alex_brown92 likes this.
  8. Lord_Itzi-Bitzi
    Skink

Lord_Itzi-Bitzi Active Member

Please tell me that I don't have to learn all that acronyms... :bag:

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Some of them are quite rare and come up very infrequently in conversation. No doubt that you'll learn the more popular ones in no time flat.

10. alex_brown92
    Skink

alex_brown92 New Member

Thanks for all the information. Loving this forum - very handy. Just a shame 8th in unsupported now - just as I was getting back into it. Typical!

I hope there's a few players out there. Might have to do a bit of searching for a local gaming group

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

There are a few of us on here and we're always looking for more! Good luck in your search for new players, I really hope that this game can be kept alive.

12. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

There is a great list in the sticky area of the tactica area that covers all of them,, you should have no trouble understanding them if you use that. Excuse our french if we use them to much, it is just to much hassle to just write down main rulebook all the fucking time ;)

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann