8th Ed. Salamander shooting into combat

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by ruevein, Mar 19, 2014.

1. ruevein
    Skink

ruevein New Member

Hey fellow lizards!

I have a game against Vampire Counts this Sunday and it brought a question/idea to my head:

Since he will have no shooting and I will have some (namely my bastilladon and salamander) he will want to get in to close combat asap.

My question is this: Could I place the template in front of my salamander with no problem (i.e. it isn't going over allied units) then roll the artillery dice and have it get moved over my opponents skeletons while they are fighting my saurus warriors?

2. MHK Pathfinder
    Cold One

MHK Pathfinder Member

Yep! They won't count towards combat res, but you can shoot into combat. Try a flank shot with your sally for maximum roastage. A big block of zombies drop like...well, zombies when burned by 10-20 S4 hits.

Good luck!

3. ruevein
    Skink

ruevein New Member

Awesome! This will go perfect cause I know he is bringing a ton of skeletons and I wanted to cremate as many has possible!

4. Ondjage
    Razordon

Ondjage Member

Can you really do this? Do you randomise the hits?

5. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

Before you get too excited and start shooting into combat, I would strongly advise reading the rules on "shooting into combat" at the bottom of page 39. The rules explicitly state that,

"Models are not permitted to shoot at enemies that are engaged in close combat,.."

It goes on a little more about not "accidentally" hitting troops in combat - i.e. pretending to be shooting at one target when you are actually targeting another that is in combat. Essentially, any sallie shooting should have zero chance of hitting any models that are in combat.

6. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Also check out the FAQ for the Skaven warpfire thrower, it fires the same as salamanders. ;)

7. Ondjage
    Razordon

Ondjage Member

Found this in the skaven FAQ:

Q. If a template weapon fires into combat using the Skavenslaves’ Expendable rule, how are hits distributed?
    A. In this case, ignore the randomisation roll and simply hit all models touched by the template.

Therefore we cannot fire into combat, because no skaven slaves

8. Ayei
    Skink

Ayei New Member

If you read the new Dwarf flamethrower, you can see something like that:

"Remember that you can not put the template where it could hit friendly models or enemy models in combat with friendly models."

So I think that you can't.

9. ruevein
    Skink

ruevein New Member

Huh, Thanks for the references guys! never would have thought to look in other army faqs. Looks like i need to just play footsies with him for a bit while I burn his skeletons with monstrous fire.