8th Ed. Salamanders in CC

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Moniker, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Moniker
    Kroxigor

Moniker Member

How does this work? In the book it says the skinks rank up behind the salamanders. Do all four skinks go behind? Do they get supporting attacks if they're behind the Salamander? Do they rank up on the sides?

So far I've only fielded them individually, but it seems wrong when they get into combat.

Cheers!

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

The handlers all rank up behind the salamanders. All the handlers get an attack. Your opponent may not target a handler. They have to target the sally. If they hit the sally, the salamander gets his Armor save (5+) if applicable. After that (or if he doesn't get an AS), you then roll a die. On a 5+, one of the handlers jumps in front of the attack and takes the wound.

Hope this helps.

3. Euclid
    Skink

Euclid New Member

A question arose during my last game: if 2 sallies (+ 3 handlers each) are in the same unit and they lose 3 handlers, does one of the sallies have to take a Monster Reaction test? Or do all 6 handlers have to die first?

(We agreed that I should take the reaction test after losing 3 handlers, and they frenzied. Muhahahaha.)

4. Arli
    Skink Priest

No, they do not. The unit shares the handlers. This means that if you lose one salamander and have 6 handlers left, you have 6 handlers left. You bought the salamanders as a unit and the handlers are shared.

5. Moniker
    Kroxigor

Moniker Member

Thanks Arli, that's exactly what I was looking for. Where'd you find the info? BRB under warbeasts or something? I don't think it was in the errata...

6. Ejpok
    Temple Guard

Ejpok New Member

Hello,
    And I may add that All the skinks attack, even if you have 1 salamander lesft from a 3 model sized unit. than All skinks attack...

7. Arli
    Skink Priest

I believe that it is in the rulebook with the monsters and handlers. Also, Ejpok is correct. One salamander and 6 handlers.....all 6 get to attack.

8. forlustria
    Ripperdactil

forlustria Well-Known Member

Hey arli could you please quote where it says that in close combat skinks can take the wound on a 5+ I thought it was only shooting that was randomised.

If you are right ive been loosing my sallies too fast

9. Arli
    Skink Priest

Page 73 of the mini rule book under the monsters and handlers rule says: When a monsters suffers an unsaved wound, roll a D6. On a roll of 1-4, the monster suffers the wound as normal, but on a roll of 5-6 a handler model is removed instead.

10. Moniker
    Kroxigor

Moniker Member

I found it, thanks again!

11. BEEGfrog
    Razordon

BEEGfrog Member

The skinks are effectively just markers, they do not take up any space on the board.

If the unit is in combat and gets charged in the rear then the skinks aren't contacted and the new unit has to be able to reach the back of the skinks to contact. In essence, the skinks occupy the same base space as the sallies, i.e., the skinks pile up above the sallies.

12. Dog On Todd
    Kroxigor

Dog On Todd Member

So for charges on the sally from flank or rear, they have to measure to the sally only?

That's awesome!

I as well have been losing my sallies too quickly :jawdrop:

13. Arli
    Skink Priest

Also remember when measuring to a fleeing unit of sallies that you do not count the skinks. They have to catch the sally itself. On 3d6, that will help you too.

14. Omar
    Cold One

Omar New Member

Question: When the handlers line up behind the sallies, don't they have to cover the back side of the base and then have to start a next rank? (example: 2 sallies, 4 line up behind and the other 2 go behind those 4) If so, wouldn't the 2 behind the 2nd rank not be able to provide supporting attacks?

15. Arli
    Skink Priest

No, they do not count toward anything other than wound markers. For all intents and purposes, they are not there (with the exception of getting attacks).

16. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

guys at my local are foregoing even putting out handlers and crews on War machines anymore. It just avoids arguments that inevitably arise from the “I can see your one crew members hat so I can target your cannon” and the ‘My unit touches your Skink Handlers so the unit is caught and killed!” They are just putting down a wound marker of some kind usually a die. Personally, I still use my skinks because I painted them and they look neat! :)

17. Arli
    Skink Priest

And they each get an attack!

18. Omar
    Cold One

Omar New Member

Well you know you're right on the way the rule is being played. If a simple explanation and showing them the section in the rulebook won't get through to them then just continue to play it the correct way regardless of what they say and they'll get use to it eventually. Don't cave into ignorance!