8th Ed. Saurus Spears?

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by PwnasaurusWrex, Aug 10, 2013.

1. PwnasaurusWrex
    Skink

PwnasaurusWrex New Member

So the new book says you can give your saurus spears for free, they don't lose their hand weapon for the upgrade do they? If not, is there any reason you wouldn't want to give them spears every time?

2. pgarfunkle
    Saurus

pgarfunkle Member

Hi Wrex,

While the saurus do not lose the hand weapons they cannot use them while they are armed with the spears. This means that you lose the parry save that the combined hand weapon and shield combo would provide. Therefore you have a choice of an extra amount of protection from the parry save or the extra rank of attacks in combat.

3. eppe
    Kroxigor

eppe Member

IIRC you can have them both, you just have to choose which to use at the beginning of combat. That should probably be FAQ'd to say "replace hand weapon with spears" though.

4. Wizgamer
    Cold One

Wizgamer New Member

I thought that once you 'upgraded' to another weapon, that weapon HAD to be used....

5. eppe
    Kroxigor

eppe Member

Just says "the entire unit may take spears...... free"

I lost my BRB... actually about to go order one, but I thought you had the choice of what weapon to use?

6. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Back in 7th edition you could choose a weapon per combat, in 8th you've got to use your special weapons. TG used to be able to choose HW+SH instead of halberds.