8th Ed. Saurus with Spears in 8th

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Dog On Todd, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Dog On Todd
    Kroxigor

Dog On Todd Member

Hey guys!

About to embark on some of my first ever 8th games. Just curious how spears work now?

Do the first two ranks still get their 2 attacks each, and then the 3rd rank get 1 attack?

Or is it 2-1-1?

Much appreciated!

2. Dog On Todd
    Kroxigor

Dog On Todd Member

Also!

BSB question:

If I take a skink chief as BSB, does this cost points other than the standard (razor)? Can he still take a Charmed Shield as well?

3. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

Supporting attacks are one per model so 2-1-1.
    The BSB upgrade is 25 pts, so the cost is skink + 25 + razor, aolso if he has a magic banner he can't have other magical equipment (slaan are exempt from this).

4. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

HoverBoy covered the important parts. Just one additional caveat regarding skink BSB's with magic banners. IF the skavenpelt banner is taken, it does NOT bestow frenzy on anything other than skinks so only the skinks in a skrox unit get the extra attack although all other frenzy related rules apply.

5. Dog On Todd
    Kroxigor

Dog On Todd Member

A good tip!

What is the reasoning behind it though? Errata'd? Or was I cheating back in 7th with my frenzied ancient stegs?

6. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

The banner specifically says skinks only, and I guess GW intended that as only skinks can benefit from it rather than only a skink character can take it but he can transfer it to anyone.

I'm 99% sure in 7th ed it was legal because if a rider of a monstrous mount had frenzy, it transferred to the steed. That is no longer the case though.

7. BEEGfrog
    Razordon

BEEGfrog Member

Unless there is something in a more recent FAQ than 1.3 or there is a rule that says mounts can't be frenzy I can't see a reason why the skavenpelt banner cannot make mounts frenzied.

It can only be given to skinks but it says it make the UNIT frenzied, as mounts are part of unit why wouldn't the banner make them frenzied. They aren't frenzied because their rider is frenzied as they are frenzied because they are in a unit containing the skavenpelt banner.

8. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Actually the Skink only disclaimer just means only a Skink can hold it.
    There are seveal similar disclaimer for other items in the book.
    Like Saurus only or Slann only, ect...

It do not mean that these are the only things effected by the items.

Seriously look at the stegadon war spear.

9. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

dark elves have a weapon called executioners axe. it says "models on foot only" in the same way that the skavenpelt banner says "skinks only". now, no one would argue that you cant attack mounted models with the executioners axe. it is so obvious that it means that only models on foot can wear it.

with that logic, saurus can indeed be affected by skavenpelt banner.

as for the mounts, it says that teh UNIT has frenzy, not anything else. the mounts are part of the unit, so they should be frenzied too. it is not the same case as with dark elves where the rides have hatred but the mounts do not (QQ! i miss hatred on cold ones!) since frenzy affects the UNIT.

all this being said, just buy a scar vet and put in the unit. it gives more bang for the same buck tbh.

10. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

well if you want to go crazy with them you can run them in a horde for another rank of attacks.
    (2,1,1,1) <--- atacks per rank

11. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

With regard to the skavenpelt banner, the wording for it and other items in the book appears to support it only causing frenzy in skinks and not in any other type of lizzie troop although it is far from crystal clear. The most obvious examples are the stegadon war spear and the sacred stegadon helm. Both of these items are very specific in that they indicate only a "skink chief" may take them. Conversely, the skavenpelt banner rules indicate "skinks only". While only a skink chief can carry a magic banner, the limitation would/should have stated "skink chief" only if the banner could bestow frenzy on units other than skinks. That's my 2 cents worth, anyhow.

12. BEEGfrog
    Razordon

BEEGfrog Member

It is the other way round, the wording in the book supports the banner affecting everything in the unit.

The "skinks only" wording only appears in the position where the limitation of who can carry a banner is defined, not in the text for the effect of the banner. Therefore "skinks only" can carry the banner but al models in the carrying unit are affected by frenzy.

Also note that the war spear does not give the "skink chief" (who is allowed to hold it) impact hits, the war spear affects the impact hits of the steggie he is riding, according to your interpretation this could not happen because the steggie isn't the weilder of the war spear.