8th Ed. Scar-vet on Cold One In a Challenge

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Dog On Todd, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Dog On Todd
    Kroxigor

Dog On Todd Member

So if I am in a challenge, can my opponent attack the Cold One instead of my Saurus?

Do I still get armor saves or something? Cold one doesn't seem worth it if it can die out from under me. They are a lot flimsier than my rider

2. Questioner
    Saurus

Questioner New Member

The short answer is no. A mount cannot be attacked, and it is only removed when the rider is removed. The exception to this is Monstrous mounts, but a Cold One is not a monster.

3. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

The quickest way to tell if your mount can get attacked and killed seperately is to look at the number of wounds. 1 wound, it can't be killed. More than 1 wound, it can.

4. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

That is interesting. I think there are some Bretonnian mounts with 2 wounds. The Ogre Mournfang has 3 wounds on it's profile as well (IIRC).

5. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

The 8th ed rules combine the rider and mount into a single model for any mount that is not classified as a monster. This includes things like pegasus, dark pegasus and Rat ogre bonebreakers which are classified as monstrous beasts. The combined model gains the number of wounds of the model with the most wounds as per the monstrous cav rules (pg. 83). Overall, it is an excellent mount for heroes since they gain an extra wound, stomp, more attacks and the mount cannot be shot out from underneath them leaving them stranded on foot!!

6. Dog On Todd
    Kroxigor

Dog On Todd Member

Cold Ones have stomp?!

Definite auto include for me at this stage of my massive campaign then :D

Thanks everyone!

7. Dog On Todd
    Kroxigor

Dog On Todd Member

Oh! another question:

Canons / shooting.

Can my hero be picked out of a saurus block and lose lookout sir! or something due to TLoS?

Personally not enjoying TLoS. Ruining my skirmishing road blocks

8. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I believe if there are 5 cav left he get a look out sir roll.
    (no they don't get stomp, that was monsterous cav.)

9. theodoris
    Cold One

theodoris Member

Cold ones are cavalry not monstrous cavalry, they don`t get stomp

10. Eladimir
    Salamander

Eladimir New Member

if hes in a unit of saurus warriors yes he can be picked out and gets no LOSR

11. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Don't rember, he may get a reduced look out sir for being a defferent troop type.

12. Dog On Todd
    Kroxigor

Dog On Todd Member

OK, so just to clarify:

1) No/hindered LOSR if in block of Saurus
    2) No Stomp
    3) +1 Wound?
    4) The Cold One can't be targeted? I use my saurus's WS, Toughness, and Armor (which the Cold One adds +2 towards) for attacks/shots against this model
    5) Make the Cold Ones attacks with his characteristics (this one is pretty obvious)

Sound about right?

13. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

No you don't get en extra would, regular cav only have one wound.
    but cold ones do contribute attacks and speed, and -2 armor save.

14. Dog On Todd
    Kroxigor

Dog On Todd Member

So why does the model have 1 wound (cold ones) if it doesn't come into play?

They can't be attacked out from under me.. Is it just for the profile? OR they test for magic and stuff as well I'm assuming?

Recap:

+2 Armor
    +1 Str 4 ws 3 attack
    +Stupidity
    +3 movement

But inside a block of saurus I lose the movement, gain stupidity, lose look out sir. So +2 armor and +1 str 4 ws 3 attack for 20 points.

I can gain +2 armor for 20 points already with items, all I'd lose would be stupidity and the extra attack..

Leaning more towards avoiding the CO for my Scar-vet in a block

15. MI_Tiger
    Temple Guard

MI_Tiger Member

The Cold One is never handled separately from the rider (other than the mount's attack). For any attack or magic effect, you treat the Cold One and Scar Vet as one model. For characteristic tests, you can use the better value of the mount or rider.

True, but you can still take armor along with the Cold One for an even better Armour Save, easily getting to the max 1+ even without magic (light armor and shield). The simple (and cheap) addition of a magic helm lets you take a Great Weapon for +2 Strength while still having a 1+ AS.

Also, don't forget that you can charge the Scar Vet out of the unit, using his full movement. This can be a very effective surprise to the enemy, and the SV is tough enough to take on quite a few units by himself.

16. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

+ fear

17. Dog On Todd
    Kroxigor

Dog On Todd Member

Fair enough!

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll keep them in mind for another game.

Unfortunately I'm playing 500 pts right now, so points are very dear to me. And I don't think the Cold One outweighs a magic weapon/armor/more saurus. I'll keep running scenarios through my head however

18. BEEGfrog
    Razordon

BEEGfrog Member

Depending on how strictly you interpret RAW, a saurus block joined by a cold one also gains ITP along with stupidity (apparently they concentrate so much on keeping the CO pointed at the enemy rather than the unit that they ignore little distractions like nasty monsters!).

The logic chain is that ITP and stupidity are both unit level effects in 8th edition. A unit is affected by stupidity if it has at least one model with stupidity. A unit gains ITP if more than half its models are affected by ITP, a model affected by stupidity is ITP, all models in a stupid unit are affected by the stupidity rule as it is unit level therefore a majority of the models (i.e. all of them) are ITP thus the unit is ITP.

19. Dog On Todd
    Kroxigor

Dog On Todd Member

ITP,

Immune to Psychology?

20. BEEGfrog
    Razordon

BEEGfrog Member

Correct, ITP is Immune to Psychology