8th Ed. Scar-vets charge from CoC

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Mr Phat, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

I recently got my hands on a couple of Cold one Cavalry and want to experiment with them
    as a scar-vet delivery system.

My idea is to use them for wide-flank manouvers and then charge the scar-vet out for a little "behind enemy lines" and due to the "character charge out of unit" rule the CoC has to wait a turn for their own target...
    ...and heres the deal...I have 2 mounted scar vets.

The Question:

Can 2 Scar-vets charge out of a CoC unit simultaneously, or will SV1 have to charge out on turn 1, SV2 charge out turn 2 and CoC charge on turn 3 ?

2. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Bonus Question:

Can 2 Scar-vets charge out of the CoC as one unit? (since characters can join eachother)

3. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

As per BRB page 97, a character can only join a unit during the movement phase. Unfortunately, the wording here is poor and it should clearly state that this can only occur during the remaining moves part of the movement phase. However, in reading the description, it is apparent that the joining of a unit does occur during remaining moves as it mentions the joined unit as no longer being able to move after the character has joined it. WRT multiple characters charging out of a unit, there is no prohibition AFAIK. The rules on page 101, 2nd para, indicate a character can declare a charge to leave the unit and thus each character would be permitted to do so. However, even if the characters charged the same unit, they would each be separate units since joining a unit can only occur during remaining moves. Also, as per 97, a unit joined by a character cannot move any further that turn so if one were to try and make the case for characters being able to join units during the charge part of the movement phase then this rule would cause them to immediately stop, thus defeating the purpose of declaring a charge in the first place.

4. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Thats what I thought and hoped for.

But
    SV 1 and SV 2
    is joined in SaurusBlock unit

SV1 declares a Charge
    SV2 declares a Charge

Reactions are made

SV1 rolls his charge move

he has now left unit SaurusBlock unit.

is SV2 a part of SaurusBlock unit or treatet as a single-model entity ?

if he is part of SaurusBlock, he will not be able to charge since that unit have had a "Character Charge out of it"

if he ISNT part of it, he WILL be able to.

right? ..so which one is it?

5. david l
    Chameleon Skink

david l New Member

Undefined.
    This debate comes up all over the internet ever so often and the inevitable answer is the rules are not clear. There are good arguments on both sides.

6. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Im gonna play it as if they are both solo entities then....

as most rules speaks of characters in units as "the unit he is with" and not "the unit he is a part of".

7. newscales
    Kroxigor

newscales New Member

if a character can charge out of a unit, and all charges must be declared independently, I would think SV1 declares, reaction, resolution, then SV2 can declare his charge. All chars drop at one time, so they have exception to the normal unit and characters are explicitly different from champs, command groups, and anything else (unless your bretonnia). so the character is a unit in and of himself, even if riding in a unit of other troops. However, the rest of the rest of the unit can't make a separate charge, only march/regular move.

I would say each SV can make his own charge. I might limit it to the same charge target, but i dunno. interesting scenario.

8. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

your answers back my own thought on the subject, so thank you: my tactic is legal and must be tested!

"Super Scar-vet delivery charge fork" ready for the lab!