8th Ed. Scout and +1 to dice roll for going first.

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by msinosic, Sep 1, 2010.

1. msinosic
    Kroxigor

msinosic New Member

Units with the Scout special rule must be deployed after all other non-Scout units from both armies, does this include Warmachines and Characters?

If so, does this mean that you will never get the +1 to your dice to see who goes first? (unless your opponent also has Scouts and you deploy yours first)

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

No. Scouts do not count toward that deployement. The plus one comes from whomever gets their troops deployed before scouts (this is because all scouts are deployed at the same time-on a dice roll if both sides have scouts-- Dragonfly of the Quicksilver [+1 to roll to see who deploys scouts first]comes in real handy for that roll too.) Chameleons are the reason that I chose Lizardmen.

3. msinosic
    Kroxigor

msinosic New Member

Where does it say that scouts do not count as a unit for the +1 dice roll to go first?

It just says they must be deployed after all other non scout units and it tells you where they can be deployed but nothing else that I can see.

4. kroxigor01
    Ripperdactil

kroxigor01 Member

Its kind of an unwritten understanding that scouts don't count. RAW holds no argument either way.

5. msinosic
    Kroxigor

msinosic New Member

If you have deployed all of your units but a single unit of Scouts and characters but your opponent still has units to place do you wait for your opponent to place all of those units before you then place the Scouts? It sounds like you have to wait. This effectively gives your opponent a chance to 'catch up' in placing their units.

The only way you would then get the +1 is if they have war machines and characters and you have only characters.

6. kroxigor01
    Ripperdactil

kroxigor01 Member

How I play it:

Say one armyhas 2 units, 2 characters and 2 warmachines.

The other has 2 units, 1 character and 2 units of scouts.

Army 2 deploys first

Army 2: unit
    Army 1: unit
    Army 2: unit
    Army 1: both Warmachines
    Army 2: character
    Army 1: unit
    Army 1: both characters

At this point, Army 1 has taken longer to deploy in the alternating deployment phase, so Army 2 is going to get the +1. But first:

Army 2: scout
    Army 2: scout

Now roll for first turn with Army 2 getting a +1.

7. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. That is the way that I play it as well. If both army has scouts, you roll to see who places scouts first (that is where the dragonfly of quicksilver comes in). Also, due to the wording on the item, it is implied that placing scouts is an altogether seperate action from placing units/characters.

Additionally, if you are facing a horde-type army, you will finish well before them and you need to wait until they place all theire units before you place scouts (if you place scouts as you're last unit before you're opponent finishes, it would be terrbly unfair as you could force him to deploy 12 inches away from you're scouts).

I have been deploying scouts this way since I have been playing warhammer (not that long, only January) and I have never had any type of conflict of this particulare situation.