7th Ed. Shield of The Mirrored Pool Question??

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Kurlin, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

So my buddy plays skaven and is adding a Doomwheel to his army. Now the Doommwheel shoots 3 bolts of Warp Lightning during their shooting phase. And Warp Lightning in the skaven spells of ruin lore is considered a magic missile.

So my idea is to bait the doomwheel with my Scar-Vet and shield and let it "hopefully" destroy itself or atleast greatly wound itself.

However since this is done in the shooting phase and it not the same range warp lightning as in the lore, I am looking for some confirmation that the mirrored pool shield will reflect these bolts back upon the doomwheel as well. Or if I am mistaken and they aren't magic missiles.

EDIT: upon further reading they are bolts and not necessarily a magic missile, so I don't think I can reflect them, but still comments one way or the other would be appreciated.

2. Stegadeth
    Temple Guard

Stegadeth New Member

I don't have the Skaven book. Is Warp-Lightning called a "magic missile"?

See, just because an attack is magic and it is a missile doesn't mean it is a "magic missile". For instance if I had a Skink with Magic Blowpipe that counted as a magical attack, and it is a missile attack it isn't necessarily a "magic-missile".

Someone could have a great big missile launcher of magic doom that fires a missile that counts as a magic weapon and does magic damage, but it would only be a magical missile and not a "magic missile".

Does that make sense? Unless something says that is is a "magic missile" in its description, it isn't. So if the Doomwheel description says something like "it casts Warp-Lightning as per the spell of the same name but at such and such range," then it is a magic missile. If the Doomwheel description goes so far as to call it Warp-Lightning and defines all of the characteristics under that section without reference to the spell which is a magic missile, then you are out of luck.

3. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

Ya like I said with my edit I agree with you. Warp lightning the spell is actually a magic missile as stated in its description. However the Doomwheel says warp lightning bolt, and does not reference the spell (or state magic missile). I got hopeful there for a little while :) but I am out of luck it appears.

4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Hard to say...
    The Skaven book deserves a 10 page FAQ,
    With 2 of them designated to the Doom Wheel.

Personalty I would say its probably just warp lightning or at least
    some sort of magic missile since I imagine it comes from that big piece
    of warp stone on the front of the wheel.

Either way it would be a good idea to take the mirror shield against skaven. ;)

5. Stegadeth
    Temple Guard

Stegadeth New Member

Hey, we all look for help where we can get it, right? No harm in checking.

6. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

no, the doomwheel doesn't fire the spell warp lightning but bolts of it wich are not a magic missile and thus not reflected. also, the shield of the mirrored pool only reflects magic missiles and skaven only have 1 such spells in their lores. the warp lighning spell, all others aren't magic missiles so i don't know how usefull the shield is

7. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

But skaven can replace any spell they roll with warp lightning, so it is slightly more useful against skaven.

8. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

only engineers actually, and unless they have the warp energy condenser its even less deadly, even tough its S5. its a 30 pts item that can occasionally save one of your units from a magic missile. if not going against WoC tzeench gateway spam i see little reason to using it. ofcourse i had my COC unit and half of a saurus unit devoured by flickering fire of tzeench and infernal gateway and now i'm seriously considering working the shield into the list

9. JohnMavrick
    Troglodon

JohnMavrick New Member

With odd end magic items like the mirror shield there are always instanses where your saying to yourself
    "Man that Mirror Shield would have come in handy!" But otherwise have little use in your game...it's an item which has a very specific list and so won't normally be taken in a list.

10. walach
    Razordon

walach New Member

unless its been FAQed, infernal gateway isnt a magic missle is it?

11. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Well they got close, it has an 8 page FAQ out now. :D

I agree that the bolt of lightning is not like the spell, our shield refers to magic missile spells that need to be cast which the doomwheels doesn't.

12. Exodite
    Skink

Exodite New Member

well does the doomwheel fire in the magic phase or the shooting phase magic phase means magic missile imho where as shooting phase means magic projectile weapony thing

13. JohnMavrick
    Troglodon

JohnMavrick New Member

It fires in the shooting phase, usually last because it tends to shoot it's own buddies whom are hanging out (the rule about shooting the nearest unit, friend or foe).

14. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

uhmm, when t is shot it makes no difference, magic missiles have a claer definition in the rule book and mos, if not all, magicm issiles are mentioned in the spell description. even if it would fier in the magic pahse it would not be a magic missile.