8th Ed. Shooting Against CoC

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Dog On Todd, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Dog On Todd
    Kroxigor

Dog On Todd Member

Hey guys!

So I'm trying to design a "babysitter" Scar-vet to get a unit of CoC into combat beneath a hail of warmachines, magic and archers (basically all-comer's).

My question came when I started thinking about ignoring archers as I could most likely shrug off their shots, but then I got scared when I thought of 20 shots averaging a wound (ish).

If CoC get a wound (from shooting/CC), do you remove an entire model? I assumed they had 2 wounds like Terradons, but the profile specifies they have a wound each.

Does this mean a shooting wound could leave one of my riders without a Cold One, and I move 4?!
    Does the rider get shot off?

Do they actually have 2 wounds?

Thanks for the clarification!

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Regulary calvery have one wound.
    (mostly to elimate the above sillyness)

if you are woried about shooting you can give them the sunstandard of chotec.

3. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

A failed armor save kills a model, as for the vet get him some magical heavy armour and a GW or if you really need him to strike at I3 a halberd. Another option is to give him regular light armour, shield and the blade of chotec and send the unit after regenerators.

4. Hasnat
    Chameleon Skink

Hasnat New Member

Any shots will hit the rider, use his touhgness, and his save. If the rider dies, then so does the mount. Therefore, a Cold One Rider model has ONE wound.

Also, as suggested before, take Sun Standard of Chotec to prevent BS-based shooting from doing too much damage.

5. Moniker
    Kroxigor

Moniker Member

Simply by being mounted, a regular model - Saurus, man, elf, anyone - gets an additional armour save. Barding gives one more. Hence mounting someone on a cold one gives an additional 2 to armour save, to basically count as a barded mount.

6. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

You could also take the iron curse icon in the unit (on a Scar-vet, not sure if you can put it on the champ) or use the EOTG 12 inch ward against shooting to give some additional protection (a 6+ ward is better than nothing).

7. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

Another option to taking the sun standard, which is quite pricey once the standard bearer is factored in, is to use a meat shield. For nearly the same number of points as a sun standard, you can field 10 skirmish skinks which provide hard cover against all BS shooting, regardless of range. They are just as fast since they don't wheel and can also shoot back at the troops trying to shoot at your cav. Even if the skinks get smoked, CoC are stupid and ITP so there is no panic check.

8. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

CoC don't need a character to carry a magic banner, their regular standard bearer can carry a magic banner.