1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Shroud of Darkness

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Just A Skink, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

I have a friend who plays LoN, Sacrament specifically. They have an artifact, called the Shroud of Darkness, that says to subtract 1 from all hit rolls for attacks targeting the bearer in the shooting phase if the attacking unit is within 8″. Subtract 2 from hit rolls from further away.

Does this negate abilities that say "if the unmodified hit roll is a 6 then do x (usually more attacks or mortal wounds)?"

My friend claimed he heard on a battle report that it stopped abilities like that. But I, and most of the rest of the group, disagree. Specifically it stopped skinks and their mortal wound generation, but that's probably b/c our shooting is so poor that we can't hit with a -2.

Erta Wanderer likes this.
  2. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

first it's -1 to hit not wound your mortals would be fine. second you always hit on a 6. therd no your natural 6s can not be negated by a -1 6+s can. it used to be that those kinds of abilities all happened on 6+ so getting a +1 would mean it triggered on a 5 or better and a -1 made it not happen at all(this old wording is still around so read the warscroll). most units now have nat 6s so you can't make it better or keep it from going off.

Just A Skink likes this.
  3. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Thanks @Erta Wanderer! I've noticed that LoN seems to have older warscrolls, rules wording, etc.

I'd like to ask for some clarification, if you don't mind. I may be misreading your reply, but you can always hit on a 6? I didn't know that. If skinks have a 5+ to hit and something gives them a -2 to hit, they can still hit on a 6?

What about armor saves? If something has a -3 rend, can you always save on a 6+? Thanks.

4. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

YES! no matter how badly you get hit with debuffs rolls of nat 6s always go threw on hit and wound rolls. unfortunately it does not apply to saves(don't know why)
    if you need the official statement the core rules goes over this

Just A Skink likes this.
  5. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Thanks! That's good info. :)

6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

On a more general note, remember always that the main keyword is "unmodified"
    this means that the ability triggers regardless of the modifiers, be them positive or negative (sometime it can be bad, as you cannot stack bonuses to improve the chances of triggering the desired effect)

Just A Skink likes this.
  7. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Thank you. I think we did do part of the combat right, then. My one friend had an effect that happened on an unmodified 6. My LoN friend tried to say that his -2 to hit affected that (he's a fairly new player), but none of the rest of us agreed so had the "6" roll go off. I was pretty sure we did it right, but I wanted to make sure.