7th Ed. Simple hero rules question.

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Tepic, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Tepic
    Skink

Tepic New Member

In my last game my Skink Preist was targeted and wiped out very early on as he was alone on foot.

I had 2 lots of 12 skirmishers and a block of 20 Saurus as infantry. My Scar-Vet was in the Suarus unit. Could I have put the SP in with one of the skirmishers and had him protected from being targeted? If not is it OK for a SP to join a Saurus unit?

[EDIT : Was going to delete this and post it in the rules section! Could a mod move it please?]

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yeah I shall move it.

US 1 (man sized) characters can join units of skirmishers, so it is fine for him to join them. He can join the saurus, but remember the base size is different so it gets a little bit awkward and it is usually best not to join them.

What destroyed him? Remember, shooting and magic missiles need LoS to be able to target him so it is legit to put him behind units or in between them to restrict what can target him. Warmachines like cannons and stone throwers can typically target him though, so if they are around be careful, and direct damage spells that aren't classed as magic missiles also don't need LoS.

3. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

actually spells specifically say what they target and if they need LoS or not.
    also any character can join any unit unless he is riding a flying mount when he can't join any units (overruled by our chief on terradon rule) and if he is riding a chariot he can olny join chariot units (onlt the case of TK). you can put the pirest in the skirmisher unit or the saurus unit. putting him in the saurus unit will reduce his M to 4 and he loses the 360 line of sight and movement, not really worth it. his base is smaller than the base of the saurus so thats not a problem really.

4. Tepic
    Skink

Tepic New Member

Dark Elf bolt throwers on a hill. He was behind a skirmish line but they shot over it.

He will be in the skink skirmisher unit in the future :)

Thanks.

5. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Except all magic missiles do need LoS which is what I said. Sure there are a few other exceptions, but not a whole lot. And if you have a look in the skirmishers section of the BRB, from memory I believe it was page 73 but don't quote me on that, there is a section on characters joining and it says only man sized characters can join skirmishers, that is US 1 by newer GW definitions.

Heh, well you can't hide from that. Definitely throw him in the skirmishers. And remember while the bolt can see you, you can also see the bolts so send some terradons their way to take them down. ;)

6. Tepic
    Skink

Tepic New Member

Ahh. I don't actually have any Terradons!

My jav equipped skinks did take the crew out a short while after, so I had some revenge. The turn after my SP died he miscast and rolled on the table allowing me to get a free spell off. No casters :(

7. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

i was not aware that only US 1 characters can join skirmishers, it is indeed mentioned in the skirmisher section. mea culpa.

8. Wolf
    Kroxigor

Wolf Member

In the BRB pg 67 under characters says roughly man-sized, and then this errata:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m470856_Warhammer_FAQ_2008-02_Edition.pdf

specifies that to US1. :)