7th Ed. Skaven FAQ

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Dumbledore, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Cheers for posting, it sure is a monster!

Wait.. So now your second rank must test as well for being in contact with the model in contact with e plague? Ouch.

Umm... Why? It made sense before. Unless this is a hint of things to come in 8th edition?

Without having the Skaven rulebook, they seem to be deleting strength in numbers for many units. Anyone know which ones? I'm guessing giant rats and rat ogres for a start.

Muahaha hello blade of realities! Direct a single attack at that puppy and 3+ on the dice (to hit) it dies. Nothing in the game is as effective as that at munching bells.

3. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

nothing's changed with the plague censers really except the fact that you don't have to test when not in combat. it mentions the weapon not the model so only models in base to base with a model carying that weapon and the models that cary it test.
    giant rats and rat ogres don't have strenght in numbers without packmasters, they still have it as long as a packmaster is still alive.
    close combat phase = mandatory every turn. round of close combat = active combat between two or more units.

4. MasterSlann
    Cold One

MasterSlann New Member

is the blade of realities vs screaming bell legitimate???? if so thats awesome!!!

5. strewart
    OldBlood

Absolutely, there is no reason why not. GW says it has Ld 0 so autofails Ld tests, go ahead and crush it!

Actually that makes for another interesting point.. What happens to the leadership of a skaven unit champ in a challenge? Normally they get +3 for their ranks, but in a challenge is he not stepping out of the ranks? This is important for basically nothing else except the blade of realities.

6. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

They do not get the rank bonus to their LD s the way me and y buddy who plays skaven always do it. Though he will rarely accept a challenge anyways, with their 'Verminous Valor' rule, since scar-vets or and Oldblood will eat his characters for breakfast.

7. strewart
    OldBlood

Oh yeah.. I was more thinking of skaven unit champions challenging to protect from me just targetting characters without the need for a challenge though. Makes it very easy to stack up overkill if you are hitting with BoR against basic skaven leadership of 5 or so is it?

8. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

The Blade always hits base leadership, so even for carving up rank and file, they won't get their rank bonus vs the blade.

9. MasterSlann
    Cold One

MasterSlann New Member

i just played a game against my friend who fielded the skaven. i used the blade but the screaming bell/plague furnace uses the leadership of the priest that is on it because it counts as a mount..... therefore the blade didn't work quite as well(getting the auto-kill) but nevertheless the lizardmen still prevailed in the end. i just wanted to clear this up

10. strewart
    OldBlood

Are you sure? It wasn't just wishful thinking from the Skaven player? The FAQ clearly says it fails all leadership tests automatically.

Even if it isn't the case, base leadership of the priest/seer is only 6/7 isn't it? Shouldn't be too hard to eat him first which would definitely leave the mount with autofail vs 1 successful hit.

11. MasterSlann
    Cold One

MasterSlann New Member

yeah eventually i killed the thing when i took down the priest, it just wasn't the auto-kill i was wishing for, oh well still very potent once the priest is down. ill be playing again this weekend and double check just to make sure on the leadership

12. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Refer to the skaven FAQ, page 6
    "Q. What is the Leadership value of a Screaming
    Bell/Plague Furnace?
    A. They have Ld 0 (-) and so will fail Ld tests
    automatically, but as they are Unbreakable, this will
    matter only very rarely (spells and magic items that
    force Ld tests, etc.)."

The Blade of Realities auto-kills the bell or plague furnace. Since the Blade of Realities attacks a model's base leadership (so the grey seer can't modify it), the bell is dead if it takes a single hit from the otherworldly blade. It is a powerful weapon indeed! Don't forget you get the full remaining wound value for killing the bell... so in one fell swoop you kill it gaining lots of combat resolution, AND the skaven unit is no longer unbreakable!

13. Cravenus
    Cold One

Cravenus New Member

I'm wondering where the rule saying you get the whole wound value of the model from is?
    As far as i can tell you caused a single unsaved wound, you get a single unsaved wound for CR.
    Now, you will get to resolve all of the attacks from the blade carrier so you may get more, but still.

14. strewart
    OldBlood

Same principle as killing blow I believe, only one wound but that wound got turned into x wounds for all intents since it killed the model. Of course if there were two failed saves, it doesn't stack, you just get the full wounds once.

15. Eagleblaze
    Temple Guard

Eagleblaze New Member

So, for clarity, can an oldblood take a gander over to a furnace, hit it once with the BoR, auto-killing it, and leaving the priest to fight on foot?

Or

Does the priest have to be killed first?

16. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

The bell can be taken out separately. The Grey Seer then is forced to fight on foot. I'd probably throw 3 attacks at the bell and 2 at the seer.. rarely will you miss all three attacks against the bell. If you manage to take them both out, you'll rack up tons of res!

17. strewart
    OldBlood

Normally, with a mount choice, the highest stat is used. However, the bell/furnace seems to work a bit differently. The army book says the crew's stats are used when attacking it, and the FAQ says the bell/furnaces leadership is used (ie. auto fail) in that case, which means it should get autodestroyed.

So Caneghem, why use 3 on the bell and 2 on the seer? The seer gets a leadership test, the bell doesn't. I would use 2 on the bell and 3 on the seer..

18. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Still need a 3+ to hit the bell, so there's that 1/9 chance you miss both! I'd rather be darn sure I get one hit on the bell, to make sure it goes down. Killing the seer is gravy.

19. Eagleblaze
    Temple Guard

Eagleblaze New Member

Or, OB takes the furnace and carno takes the seer.

Sorted.

20. spacelizard
    Saurus

spacelizard Member

Since no one else appears to have said it, I'll just point this out: under the previous wording, if a censer bearer unit was in combat, the entire unit had to test. period. For example, if I have only one censer model that made it on a charge, meaning I've only got one censer in combat, and only one of the other censers in that unit is in base to base with him, EVERY model in the unit still had to test, because the unit was in combat and every model in that unit was "in base contact with one or more models bearing a plague censer." Note, that's "bearing," not "fighting with" like the errata now says. Glad the rule isn't retarded now.

I'll also point out that the FAQ (and that's the FAQ, not the Errata) asserts the Bone Breaker mount is US3 + rider, when the book clearly states that said mound is a "monstrous mount" which would make it US4 + rider. The rest of the Errata and FAQ are great, although the thought of the bell getting one-shoted so easily just feels wrong to me.