8th Ed. Skink Chief is useless?

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by gapton, Apr 30, 2012.

1. gapton
    Saurus

gapton Member

Hi there, I digged up a bunch of old models from the 5th edition and I am picking the game up again.

Forgive me for asking seemingly noob questions but the Skink Chief seems very weak and I am having a hard time to find where to put them.

I thought of putting it in a unit of Skrox, which is the best option I think. (But the debate of character joining Skrox is still going it seems)

I thought of putting it in a unit of Skinks, giving it a stronger melee attack. However Skinks die in a blink of an eye so as the general of my army (I am starting with 500 points games) I worry if it will get killed easily.

Using it in a unit of Skink Skirmishers.... and giving him a blowpipe will make him a very good shooter, however I feel that the 55 points and 3 Attacks are awfully wasted.

Finally, I am absolutely confused about the choice of giving a Skink Chief a SPEAR.

A unit with spear will get an extra rank of attack..... but Skinks can never have spear to begin with, isn't it?

Am I missing something?

Finally, how would you guys use a Skink Chief? Or would you avoid it altogether? (and go for a Scar Vet, which can be used in a 500 points game just fine as well)

2. Kharn The Betrayer
    Razordon

Kharn The Betrayer New Member

The spear is there for if u give him a teradon I guess ( spear equals + one str on the turn you charge if you have a mount) , also, I think your best bet is putting him on a stegadon w/ a stegadon war spear, I've messed around with him in almost every role and besides steg I don't really like the skink chief. I'd go with a skink priest or scar vet at 500, hope this helps

3. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

Option 1: Pop on bird (or give cloac of feathers) add deffence gear, turn 2 charge warmachines, lone wizards if you have high enough armour (3+) even small shooter units.
    Option 2: Put on steg maybe with warspear, have a shadow slaan nearby to give the stegadon some air time.

4. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I do not think he is useless. You have to put him to a specific group. If you put him in a unit of Terradons (at least 4), you can war machine hunt with him and you get a decent amount for the drop rocks and shooting before you get into combat (war machine or a rear charge once a unit is engaged in the front).

The stegadon with war spear is an awesome combo to use against HE (or any elves for that matter).

5. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

in a nutshell, yes skink chefs are useless. there are a few combos that are useful in some situation, but in an "all comers" army i would take something else instead.