1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS skink range weapon load out

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by chefofwar, Oct 27, 2020.

1. chefofwar
    Chameleon Skink

chefofwar Well-Known Member

As the title says, anyone math hammered numbers out there for factoring in range to +1 wound?

Javelins vs blowpipes in a 40 block of skinks.

When I first choose blow pipes it was due to the fact that I am game planning on getting first turn as I will be out dropped and folks like to gamble on the double turn, so I will just make the best of it.

FoS lets my skinks with boltspitters shoot turn one compared to assuming I would be out of 8in javelin range turn 1 and thus be potentially getting charged on their turn.

All that range talk compared to getting 8-12% more wounds (just from a rough math estimate) with javelins.

Anyone swear by javelin use?

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. Tyranitar
    Terradon

Tyranitar Well-Known Member

I personally can't see a reason for javelins. Originally I thought moonstone clubs came with the javelins as a trade-off for the lack of the range, but that's not even the case. I can't see +1 to wound being worth 8" of range, but it seems hard to math out because it's a bit abstract

LizardWizard and Erta Wanderer like this.
  3. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

with a block of 40 you always always want to take blowpipes. Javelins just don't have the range for the back people to hit anything until you're a rite on top of someone.
    Javelinas do work well in 10 man screens though

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    LizardWizard and Imrahil like this.
  4. chefofwar
    Chameleon Skink

chefofwar Well-Known Member

thats what I thought, I didnt know if I was missing something

LizardWizard likes this.
  5. Tyranitar
    Terradon

Even as screens isn't the additional range more valuable? It offers more flexibility in the distance you can screen

6. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

screens are expecting to get charged so range isn't a problem and in disciples of sotek they get to shoot and run so better shooting for 10 man units can help

7. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

to add onto this, the extra range when screening is only really relevant against a slow opponent. Against a slow unit staying at 18" means he'l probably fail the charge, allowing your screen to survive into the next turn. However, against an opponent with high movement, or loads of charge modifiers the advantage is a lot less relevant.

Erta Wanderer likes this.
  8. Tyranitar
    Terradon

That's good feedback, thanks. I'm a longtime fantasy player (Lizardmen for 20~ years), and recently started AoS after a hiatus so learning some of the small nuances is helpful!