8th Ed. Skink Skirmisher shooting

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by avfc_66, Mar 27, 2013.

1. avfc_66
    Jungle Swarm

avfc_66 New Member

Hi everyone,

Played my first game with lizards yesterday (and only the 3rd game of WHFB) and I have a few questions surrounding skink skirmishers and chameleon shooting..

When marching or moving normally and shooting do the skirmishers and chamo's suffer the usual -1 to hit penalty? Is this -1 on marching and moving or are the penalties different for each?

If the target unit is further than 6" away, do they suffer a further -1 penalty for longer range? (as it's over half the range of the blowpipe)

Finally, when shooting with poison, rolling 6s to hit does auto-wound doesn't it? I thought it did but we had a bit of a query over it and the BRB doesn't seem especially clear about whether armour or ward saves are allowed...

Thanks for looking (and hopefully clarifying a couple of things)!

2. david l
    Chameleon Skink

david l New Member

Yes. Unless otherwise stated, all shooting suffers the normal modifiers.

Any movement is -1 to hit. How the movement is accomplished does not matter.

Yes, it autowounds. But autowounding has no connection to armour and ward saves. When you suffer a wound, by any means, you get saves.

3. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

In regard to shooting, the -1 for move and shoot applies whenever the skinks move (this includes reforming and marching in addition to a normal move) (BRB pg 77).

In regard to range, yes. If the distance is more than 6", an additional -1 to hit is applied (BRB pg 41).

Poison does auto wound. However, they are "savable" wounds. All armor and ward saves are applicable. Keep in mind though that the armor is still modified by the strength of the attack (though this does not really come into play with S3 skink shooting).

Edit: apparently david l has a higher initiative than I do. :D

4. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

5. avfc_66
    Jungle Swarm

avfc_66 New Member

Thanks very much for your help! Definitely learnt a few things, especially in regard to my confusion between autowound and unsaveablewound...

6. newscales
    Kroxigor

newscales New Member

It is also important to note, that with regular skink skirmishers, you won't often have the opportunity to move and double tap. long range, move & shoot, & double tap make a 4+ to hit a 7+, meaning you have to reroll 6s and poison doesn't work anymore.

camo skinks have their 3+ BS, so they can get away with it.

I run javelins almost exclusively since I am only getting 1 volley anyhow, can always stand and shoot, no move and shoot penalty, and a 6/6 armor/ward save all for 1 point upgrade.

7. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I agree with Newscale on this. I always run my skirmishers with javelin and shield. I use the chameleons to the best advantage (or try to).