8th Ed. Skink Skirmishers vs. Camo Skinks

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Jediknight620, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Jediknight620
    Skink

Jediknight620 New Member

Do people prefer one to the other? In my first game with LM I brought 3 units of camo skinks and they did very well. Although, I was considering bringing 2 units of skirmishers, 12 large. I know its a lower weapon skill, but its a lot more shots and more chances for poison. Also, my next game will be against ogres at 2500 points.

Thoughts?

Thanks again guys! :)

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Well if you want scouts, Chamelions are all we have.
    Point wize all the skink units are very well ballenced,
    and generaly you get what you pay for.

3. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I prefer the chameleons for the scouting ability as well as the higher BS. With skirmishing skinks, I worry about losing the poison rule if I need higher than 6s to hit. With chameleons, that usually does not happen. It can happen, but is unlikely (taking a march, long range, and some type of cover for the target).

4. Jediknight620
    Skink

Jediknight620 New Member

Ah, well the skink skirmishers can scout from rivers, marshes and forests right or am I just misreading the rules?

I do like the multiple scouting units with poison shots from behind. Its the ultimate harassment unit. Quite a different tactic from my WoC faceroll lol

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

"skink skirmishers can scout " ???

not since 6th edition...
    Chamelions are the oly scouts we have now.

but they do get extra cover saves from water terrain from the Aquatic rule.

6. Jediknight620
    Skink

Jediknight620 New Member

Ah yes, I see that now. Aquatic is rivers, forests and marshes are open terrain and soft cover.

Thanks for clearing that up n810.

7. Devean
    Saurus

Devean Member

I think a balance is best. You need the chameleons for doing damage early on (taking out a monster or war machine) but skirmishers will give you many more shots and are more suited to whittling down the army in later turns.

I find that any more than 2 units of chameleons becomes diminishing returns. Whilst I always have at least one unit of 5-6, I wouldn't go with three units (in an all comers anyway).

I don't generally have a problem with BS 3 on the skirmishers. Sure, sometimes you'll have to make do with single shots but the 'manoeuvrability' of the skirmishers means you can keep those times to a minimum.

8. MOMUS
    Cold One

MOMUS New Member

I always take both normal skink skirmishers and cameleon skinks, i find the real decision is between chameleon skinks and terradons.
    The use up the same points allocation and are good at different things. Cameleons have forward deployment and better (consistent) damage output but terradons have better movement and can control the table space better.
    If your opponent is clever he can shut down your chameleons deployment options, but terradons can vanguard and then fly move turn one into his lines. They are often better point denial.

9. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Just to clear this up, Aquatic gives soft cover if more than half the unit is in water, and River/Marsh/Lake Strider. This rule DOES NOT treat them as open terrain. All "Strider" rules do is not make you take dangerous terrain tests for them. So you still can't march through rivers, you still lose rank bonus, etc.
    We played this rule incorrectly, due to 7th edition hangover, and oh wow did skrox rule from the river. But alas, not to be.

10. eppe
    Kroxigor

eppe Member

I try to bring both. Skirmishers are great for keeping your flanks free by redirecting for a turn or two and Camo's will destroy warmachines/lone characters or annoy the piss out of a hordes' flank.

I usually bring 2 groups of skinks and 2 groups of camo's at 2k. I'll sometimes bring 3 groups of skinks because I can usually assume one of those group will fail a roll and get wipped out.