8th Ed. Skinks and challenges ( two Q's)

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Kharn The Betrayer, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Kharn The Betrayer
    Razordon

Kharn The Betrayer New Member

Can chamo skinks march and shoot, also does my slann bsb have to except challenges? (sorry, fantasy newb I know)

2. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

Yes, Chameleons are Skirmishers so they can march and shoot.

Yes and No, if there is a champion in the unit he can always accept challenges in the Slann’s place. If there is no champion then YES he must accept or be relegated to the back ranks of the unit as a coward. HOWEVER, if he is in a unit of TG and is in the second rank (as every good Slann is), then he is not in contact with any enemy model and is not required to accept or decline any challenges.

3. Kharn The Betrayer
    Razordon

Thank, other question I'm going to a tourney next weekend and I was wondering, what are the best steg splatters in WoC, ogres, and wood elves? Also shaven if amyone knows? Want to know wat my skinks shud shoot for, thanks

4. TheRolfgar
    Chameleon Skink

TheRolfgar New Member

This is not correct, you do not need to be in B2B contact to accept a challenge in 8th edition. The slann can still be challenged in the 2nd rank.

5. Cravenus
    Cold One

Cravenus New Member

I really wish you guys would cite sources. seriously.

Since I don't get challenged all that much with my Slann(too many old bloods ride herd with him) I didn't give much thought to san diegos statement, due to thinking he had to be in base contact to issue/accept a challenge(he doesn't, I checked; "BRB pg 102").

However, the point is moot due to the following fact. A slann can always refuse a challenge(though, again doing so with other characters in the squad is iffy due to the opponent getting to pick who retires"BRB pg 102") as the slann only ever moves to the 2nd rank back, if he's with Temple Guard. "Army book, pg 43: guardians""BRB pg102: refusing a challenge"

6. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

My mistake.

I miss-read the rule I thought page 102 said character had to be in base contact with other unit when it actually said "the two Units just have to be in base contact”.
    This came up the other day when a Brittonian player used some gauntlet and forced my Slann into a challenge and we just breezed over the challenge rules quickly.

End result still the same, as long he is in a unit of TG.

7. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I believe the make way rule allows any characters in the unit to be challenged. I always take a unit champ as well as at least one scar-vet just in case I need to protect the slann from a challenge. I played a Brettonian player that would always take the virtue (or item) that forces the acceptance of the challenge. It sucks when that happens to the slann.

8. BEEGfrog
    Razordon

BEEGfrog Member

The slann gets a very minimal penalty for refusing a challenge as the rules allow him to remain in 2nd rank and get most of the benefits of being in the 2nd rank.

Except if there is a special rule involved, the challenge is issued to a unit and any eligible model in the unit can accept the challenge.

General accepted play allows for a second challenge in a multi-turn combat after the first is decided but RAW only allows for one challenge per combat as the rule is written differently in 8th edition.

9. TheRolfgar
    Chameleon Skink

TheRolfgar New Member

As usual I'm not terribly certain what you are trying to say here, however after one challenge has been fully resolved (one combatant is dead) another may be issued so long as the 2 units are are still in combat on any later turn. You need to read the next page (103) under "Round Two?".

10. Kharn The Betrayer
    Razordon

Also I think I read that slann has 18" inspiring presence somewhere. Is this true, and if it is can you point out where it says this? Thanks

11. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

The large target rule is just refering to how you work out his line of sight from the 2nd rank of TG. In the LM book under Slann>Guardiians - ...his line of sight is worked out as if the mage-priest himself was a large target.

Only Slann that would have the 18" inspiring presence rule is Mazdamundi because he is mounted on a Steg.

12. TheRolfgar
    Chameleon Skink

TheRolfgar New Member

Large Targets no longer exist for LOS as we see what we can see. The FAQ states his LOS when casting is right above the heads of the TG, that doesn't change much though.