8th Ed. Skinks & Kroxigors layout

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Sh-tfish, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Sh-tfish
    Jungle Swarm

Sh-tfish New Member

I recently tried new layout of unit of skinks and Kroxigors which is very effective:

- 30 skinks & 3 kroxigors, full command
    - unit width - 6 skink models
    - kroxigors are not surrounded by skinks

However my friend came up with question if this layout is legal. I believe it is, but my friend thinks it is not. What do you think?

In army book there is only given following example:

2. Hebus
    Saurus

Hebus Member

In my opinion, it is legal. They are in the second rank, you have a clear rank & file unit.

3. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

there is no place in the rules where it says "you have to have skinks on the sides". the picture is just an example. This layout is pretty much standard for big SKrox units, and i have never heard any valid arguments to why it should not be legal. Also, remember that even if there is just one rank of kroxigors, it counts as two ranks when working out rank bonuses (and presumably steadfast). that is at least clear in the rules :)

4. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

I use precisely that same formation (albeit with only 24 skinks). As LT & Hebus have indicated there is no requirement to have skinks on the side but only to have krox in the 2nd rank.

5. Sh-tfish
    Jungle Swarm

Sh-tfish New Member

Many thanks for answers. I am happy that you confirmed my opinion.

Just for additional info:
    I thougt about using only 24 skinks, but I used 30 in the end. My friend likes to use strong chaos warriors cavalry, which tended to decimate my units of saurus warriors. After charge against unit of skinks w. kroxigors he ended up with scoring 8 casaulties in skinks and most of his cavalry dead. He manages not to flee from losed fight only to be slaugtered in the next round. :meh:

6. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

You would think that he would be happy to have you use that formation. That exposes the kroxigors to flank attacks. He could potentially get a good flank charge and kill all 3 Kroxigors on the turn that he charges.