8th Ed. skirmishers + quick to fire: -1 to hit?

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Benny6Toes, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Benny6Toes
    Saurus

Benny6Toes New Member

Pretty much what the title says. Skirmishers special rule states that they may march and fire, but they still suffer the -1 to shoot. Quick To Fire states that weapons with this rule do not suffer the usual -1 To Hit penalty for moving and shooting.

The other night I marched a unit of skinks into firing position, and my buddy argued that they were marching, not moving, and therefor still got the -1 to shoot.

That makes no sense to me, but I figured I'd ask about it here...does that make any sort of sense?

2. Wolf
    Kroxigor

Wolf Member

Skirmishers with blowpipes always suffer the -1 for moving and shooting (which includes marching and shooting), as they don't have the Quick to Fire rule.
    Skirmishers with javelins can move and shoot (and march and shoot) without the -1 as they do have the Quick to Fire rule.
    Basically, marching is moving!

3. Benny6Toes
    Saurus

Benny6Toes New Member

That's what I figured. Thanks!

4. The  Omen
    Saurus

The Omen New Member

You suffer -1 for moving and shooting. Marching is a special kind of move, but it's still a move action, so with quick to fire you don't suffer the -1. Simple really.

5. BezZeMad
    Cold One

BezZeMad Member

Actually, Blowpipes are quick to fire.
    They updated them in the 8th ed rule book.

If you look in the common weapons lists, you'll find them in there.
    I don't know whether it's been faq'd, but I assume your to use the profiles in the rule book.

Which of course means that no Skink Skirmishers get the penalty for moving.

6. Cravenus
    Cold One

Cravenus New Member

I just quickly checked and i couldn't find blowpipes having Q2F in the BRB. I did find the javelins, but could you post the page number on the blowpipes?

7. Benny6Toes
    Saurus

Benny6Toes New Member

Blowpipes aren't Quick To Fire and are not listed in the BRB at all. However, a picture of a skink with a blowpipe is shown next to the Quick To Fire rule. That's probably why blowpipes are frequently confused as having the rule.

Blowpipes are described in the Lizardmen Army Book under the Skink Cheifs entry (page 49; lousy place for it). In the entry on that page, it lists blowpipes as having the 2x Multiple Shots special rule. That is the only special rule that blowpipes have (skinks, in general, also carry the Jungle Poisons special rule).

Skinks with blowpipes therefore do get -1 to hit for moving and shooting (but they can still march and shoot if they're skirmishers), and they also get -1 to hit if they double-tap.

8. BezZeMad
    Cold One

BezZeMad Member

Yeah, I just checked when I played TK last night.
    It would seem Blowpipes an't quick to fire, sorry for any confusion caused.

I think it was mentioned in one of the posts on some forums or another before 8th was released as one of the changes, and I never thought to check that one up, woops!