8th Ed. Skrox = Core while Krox on their own = Special ?

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by gapton, Apr 27, 2012.

1. gapton
    Saurus

gapton Member

I read in the army book that adding Krox to a unit of skink is listed as an "UPGRADE"

So I am assuming skinks + krox (1 per 8 skink) count as core, while Krox on their own should be counted as special, is that correct?

Say I take 30 skinks with 3 Krox , that is 30 x 5 + 3 x 55 = 315 points of core unit

I have like 60 skinks and 4 Krox..... so that alone (520 points) can be used as the only core for a 2k army

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Thats right, a skrox unit is all core. Krox on their own are special.

3. gapton
    Saurus

gapton Member

Thanks!

According to the Army Book the Krox can attack and be attacked when placed within a unit of skinks in the *second* row.

However in the FAQ it says "Ignore the special rule Great Reach"

Obviously it would not make sense that the Krox cannot attack, but does that mean the Krox can no longer be attacked in close combat until the Krox moved forward to the front rank (after enough skinks have been killed) ??

Also, with the "Great Weapon" rule, the Krox should get +2S (S6) on all 3 attacks?

Finally Saurus with spear.... does the second rank get 1A or 2A ? ( I remember reading the old 5th edition Army Book that the Sauruses' second attack is a bite.... and therefore even with spear the second rank will only get 1A, what about in the 8th edition?)

Sorry I am a bit confused, thanks in advance

4. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Answers below

5. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Old Mossy hit it on the nose. I would like to add that if you take a saurus horde (10 wide), you get an additional rank of spear attacks. It is not really practical as you would probably need around 50+ saurus in order to ensure that it will work, but that would maximize the killyness.

6. gapton
    Saurus

gapton Member

So it goes like this:

1 : Front row in B2B contact
    2 : Normal support attacking row (max 1A per model except monsters which have max 3A)
    3 : Spear's special rule
    4: Horde

So if you have 40 Sauruses with spears you get 20 + 30 = 50 attacks? That is absolutely SICK ! lol
    Adding a champion and a scar vet would make this even crazier

Adding 10 extra spear Sauruses as buffer, it will be a woopingly expensive 630 points with comms tho. :D

7. Smexygor
    Chameleon Skink

Smexygor New Member

Admittedly only that many if you get enough in B2B right? If they are smart they go 5 wide and deny half your guys.

8. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

True. That situation probably will not happen too often. Also, that is an expensive unit to field.

9. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

Hardly even with 20mm bases you get 6 saurus in contact, which is still 30 attacks, so still more than half.

10. HerrMerklin
    Jungle Swarm

HerrMerklin New Member

I would have to disagree. No where does it say that spear attacks are a support attack. Nor anywhere at Games-Workshop.com, that I could find, does it say second row of spears get only one attack. The rule book says, "Fight in Extra Rank." To me that sounds like the second rank can attack the same as if in the front row.

11. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

You might want to pop open the universal special rules section and read what "fight in extra rank" does then eh Einstein.

12. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

No need to be sarcastic back but, yes, it is quite clear in the main rulebook that the extra rank of spears fighting will only get 1 attack each not 2.

This is, of course, not in the LM army book because that was made in 7th edition.

13. HerrMerklin
    Jungle Swarm

HerrMerklin New Member

My bad. I don't know how I missed that I was looking through the book for 30 minutes and somehow could not see that.