8th Ed. Slaan BSB

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by eppe, Dec 2, 2011.

1. eppe
    Kroxigor

eppe Member

If your Slaan is your BSB and is forced to flee doesn't that mean he is killed since the BSB is auto killed when a unit flee's?

Also I'm having trouble finding the rule on this but is it possible for a Skink Priest to join a unit of Saurus, and if so how do you rank them up since they are different base sizes?

Sorry one last question. If a cannon is on a hill, and I place units behind another hill, does the cannon have line of sight of those units? Would you just use "true line of sight" to decide or how would you work it?

Thanks.

2. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

I'd say yes, he'd be killed.

Skink priest can go in the unit, but is off to the side. ie. no ranks behind him. eg:

OOOOOx
    OOOOO
    OOOOO

Use true line of sight, but whether that's from the cannon's muzzle, or from the crew members' eyes, I can't recall.

3. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Old Mossy is correct on all counts. I'm pretty sure TLOS is worked out from the cannon itself, remember they can turn on the spot for free (don't count as moving) as well.

4. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

Correct in that true line of sight is measured from the muzzle on cannons and the crossbar on stone throwers/trebuchets - the crew is not used for line of sight, only as wound markers for this edition.

- Lord Cedric

5. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

Just one more point on the Slaan BSB (or any BSB) fleeing. They are only destroyed if they flee from combat so if the Slaan/BSB flees for any other reason (failed panic test or voluntary) then they are fine and treated like any other unit.

6. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

The chances of your slann BSB fleeing are pretty low if you use the standard of discipline and a unit of TG. If you run him solo, you should take the standard of discipline and the crown of command. Coupled with cold blooded (3d6 ftw), those things will keep your slann from breaking in most situations.

7. eppe
    Kroxigor

eppe Member

He fled due to losing combat resolution last night... i lost by alot.

8. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Crown of command makes him stubborn. TG makes him stubborn. If by some chance, the TG are almost gone, he's almost dead anyway.

9. eppe
    Kroxigor

eppe Member

I was playing against a dwarf who spent 3 turns having his grudge thrower widdle my TG/Slaan down to nothing so by the time it hit CC I didn't have much. We are still playing at 1500 so I'm limited on options. The TG died then my Slaan fled due to combat resolution.

We ended up calling it a draw because it as late and I till had a Saurus Block left for him to kill and 11 Chameleons on the board he couldn't kill. My TG have just not been living up to my expectations but I think it may simply be due to my opponents focusing them down and only being at 1500 points.

Kinda off topic but I seem to lack a hammer once we enter CC at 1500. Most of my damage is done by the Salamanders and Chameleons and they can't fire once I'm in CC.

10. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

The Slann and TG unit is not as invincible as a lot of people think... At least not in my experience. It pretty much has to go in the centre of your line so area buffs can work on the maximum number of units, this often means they are facing the toughest unit of your opponents army. Now admitedly, I haven't protected and supported the unit all that well, but with their low initiative they tend to die fairly easily against an elite unit with a character. Even faster if their unit is supported by a chariot or monster.

Just be aware that they will need help against the strongest stuff (which they will most likely face especially since most people know that the key to beating the army is that one unit). I have had 22 TG die in a single round of combat once. In future I will be running my two saurus units sandwiched as close as possible on either side of the TG with the TG an inch or two back so there is no room for support units to attack them. And probably hold back a bit until magic/poison can bring down support units.