8th Ed. Slaan in a unit?

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by HoverBoy, May 25, 2011.

1. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

So picture this:
    I have a 5 wide saurus unit with full comand, so if i slap a scar vet and a slaan in there can the frog go in the back since he can't fit in the front.

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Lets see.. Command models must remain in the front rank, excess characters that can't fit with them move to the second. There is no precedent of which one has to go back, no reason why you can't choose, yeah I guess in that case the Slann could go in the second rank. Remember, he only gets all the special bonuses for being in the second rank when he is with a Temple Guard unit though.

3. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

And aside from free(ish) stubborn and ITP those benefits would be?

The way i see it he is a potential general/BSB who due to TLOS can cast normally and gets to stay in the 2nd row until someone from the front gets skinned for boots.

4. strewart
    OldBlood

Yeah I guess with TLOS there isn't too much of a problem these days. But as soon as either the unit champ or the scar vet die, he is pushed right to the front, which would be the main problem really. And of course no stubborn or ITP as you say.

5. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

Sounds like a great solution for low point games to me.
    I add a vet in my TG anyway.

6. Eladimir
    Salamander

Eladimir New Member

I've lately been running my slann solo but I would like to give this a try.
    Maybe even put two scarvets in the front to provide a one death buffer before he gets moved up.

I just feel that the TG are not worth the 5 point increase for the minor stat bump.

7. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Don't the special rules for slann in a TG unit allow for him rising up and casting all spells (even though the unit is in combat). That would mean that as soon as the saurus unit is in combat, he cannot cast all of his spells.

I could be wrong, but I thought that was one of the special rules that the slann gets from being in the TG unit.

8. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

Hmm yea magic missiles and direct damage...
    Guess a support lore would fit best then.

9. strewart
    OldBlood

Surely by the time you are spending the points and hero allocation for 2 scar vets in the unit it is better to just have him in a TG unit anyway..? TG certainly aren't that bad for their points when there is a Slann involved.

On the other hand, one minor plus side of the saurus unit, the Slann would be free to leave them if they get whittled down or in a really bad position. He can't leave a TG unit willingly.