7th Ed. slann BSB

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by diablarist, Sep 11, 2009.

1. diablarist
    Skink

diablarist New Member

i might be missing something, but if you have a slann in the middle of a block of TG, they will gain no benifit, right? as the slann is in the second rank the dont get the resalution or the re-roll, right? please tell me im wrong lol

2. Eternity_Warden
    Terradon

Eternity_Warden New Member

page 43, "Guardians" special rule.

3. diablarist
    Skink

diablarist New Member

it says he can still act normaly as bsb ect, and normal behavior for a bsb is to only give these benifits to his unint during combat if hes in the fighting rank, eg the +1 combat resalution isnt gained if the berer isnt fighting, and the reroll states that the rule ceases to apply if hes hiding at the back of the unit". or is he basicly not considerd part of the unit?

4. Eternity_Warden
    Terradon

Eternity_Warden New Member

I know GW wording is iffy (always is), but basically how it goes is the Slann can do whatever the hell he wants in the back rank as if he were in the front rank. And army books always overrule the BRB. I personally always abide by the spirit of the rules, it's just more fun and realistic and causes fewer arguments.

And I start to wonder why you're trying to interpret a rule in a way unfavorable to yourself as a Lizardmen player...

5. diablarist
    Skink

diablarist New Member

its something that confused me, and i just wanted to play the naysayer and see how other peope justerfy it, i wont argue that the spirit of the rules implys that the banner bering genral would do f&*K all for hin body gard unit, but RAW seem to point the other way, i just wanted ammo incase i come up against TFG and need to shut him up

6. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

It seems clear enough to me.. It says that he can still act as normal, if he couldn't provide the BSB bonus then GW wouldn't have given him the option of being one.

7. diablarist
    Skink

diablarist New Member

just to be even more annoyingly agumetative, he can still go in the fron rank of other units.....

but as you say it clealy intended to be able to, just fugly GW wording i guss

8. Barotok
    Terradon

Barotok New Member

How is this unclear or fugly? If a BSB is in the back rank he doesn't get to act as the BSB. The rule states that he may still act as normal. If he's the BSB, then 'normally' he'd be placed in the front rank for the benefits of being the BSB. So, if your Slann is in the 2nd rank he gets to act as if he were in the front rank or normally. Too much deductive reasoning here?

*Side Note* This should be in the rules help, as it is really not a tactics discussion.

9. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

You are correct, good point. I shall move it now.

*Pulls out staff of supreme moddery*

10. Barotok
    Terradon

Barotok New Member

I should stop back seat modding. I apologize.

I find it interesting that there are so many folks who think that having the Slann take the BSB is a bad idea. Perhaps I'm jaded from past experiences or reading threads with this discussion going, but it's always seemed like a good idea. I'm sure that they're advantages to taking a seperate BSB character as far as positioning is concerned. If you take a look at the mortality rate of BSBs it seems like the Slann has a lot better chance of carrying it, and staying alive (although this isn't always the case).

11. Sellus
    Skink

Sellus New Member

The only real downside to taking the slann as a BSB is that if he gets killed he gives up 200 extra VP unless you are playing a game big enough to include a second slann as the general.