7th Ed. Slann Line of Sight Question

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by MI_Tiger, Dec 23, 2009.

1. MI_Tiger
    Temple Guard

MI_Tiger Member

When the Slann is in a unit of Temple Guard, you figure his own Line of Sight as if he were a large target. Typically, this is for casting his spells, but does it apply for all purposes? For example, versus Tomb Kings, can a Slann in a TG unit be harmed by the Casket of Souls which affects all units with LOS to the Casket? When this came up in a game recently, we decided that the Slann was affected - the rule book describes the Slann floating up to cast his own magic, but it doesn't restrict the LOS to just his own magic phase.

Is there an official ruling or community consesus on this? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

as soon as the slaan joined the TG unit he becomes part of the unit, so they are not affected separately, if your question is if the unit becomes viable because of teh slaan's LoS (it has another unit in front, thus normaly obscuring LoS to the casket) then the answer is that the army book only tells us his LoS is worked out as if it were that of the large target, and as he is part of the unit it can still see the casket. the way i see it the unit will see teh casket unless there is another large target inbetween (except for terrain that would normally block LoS to large targes ofcourse)

3. SlannOfItza
    Kroxigor

SlannOfItza New Member

I'd actually say that since he rises and falls on his chair, for purposes of line of sight, only HE has large target line of sight, other units do not have line of sight to him as if he was a large target all the time...

But so far everyone elses posts were pretty accurate in the fact that the casket of souls wouldn't affect the slann and TG it would only hit the TG..

:D

4. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

i do agree that other's dont have LoS to the TG/Slaan in the aforementioned scenario, but the casket affects all units can see it not what it can see. the only exception i know to this rules was the skaven warp lightning cannon back in 6th wich could see through terrain, but that was rectified in teh skaven FAQ that it only does so in the shooting phase. if it were the same with slaan i would think it should be in the FAQ one way or the other but it isn't. i'll play it the way i read it, i.e. he has the LoS of a large target and thus can see the casket ouf souls, the plaque of dominion and other similar effects

5. MI_Tiger
    Temple Guard

MI_Tiger Member

Thanks for the quick replies. In the game we played, there was another unit between the Temple Guard and the Casket, blocking the TG's line of sight. We played it that the Slann, and only the Slann, had LoS and only he was affected, not the TG.

It sounds like we got it right. Thanks again.

6. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

you only got it prtially right, the whole TG units was affected because the slann had LoS. if the slann is in the unit he is part of it like a champion, musician or the model at the corner of the moving tray. while it is true that for casting the wizard has its own LoS and does not share it with the unit, the slann was not US 5 or higher to be picket out independently, etgo while the unit had 5 or more models excluding the slann and the campion the whole unit was affected.

by the way: what is the US of the slann?

7. Eternity_Warden
    Terradon

Eternity_Warden New Member

It's less than four and more than two. Three guesses and the first two don't count.

8. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

yeah, i checked the army book and saw it was cleary mentioned there... didn't think i had to post that i found the answer, thank anyway :p

9. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

The Slann only has large target LOS during his own magic phase, not the enemy magic phase (which is when the casket is "fired"). So unless it is your own magic phase, treat the TG unit with Slann like normal for line of sight effects like the casket.

10. Arsenal
    Temple Guard

Arsenal New Member

Sorry for not knowing the large target LOS, but is the LOS on the Slann in the unit able to see 360 for purposes of casting? If no, is the LOS checked from his HIS base or that of the whole unit. I am trying to see if I played it wrong in my last battle.

Thanks in advance!

11. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Well he doesn't normally have 360 LoS so no to that, but interesting question about where you measure from... I would think that since it isn't mentioned, he just works like a normal wizard in a unit and can measure from the edge of the unit, but there is a case for measuring exactly from him since he is rising out of the unit. Actually yeah becoming a large target, it probably is measured from him.

12. Arsenal
    Temple Guard

Arsenal New Member

Cool, thats how we played it, measuring from the Slann himself. Thanks again for the clarification!

13. Wolf
    Kroxigor

Wolf Member

How can you measure from the unit if the wizard is casting his spells? Don't you always have to measure from the wizard? Do you have a rules quote to back this up? :p

14. erians
    Razordon

erians Active Member

Actually he always has the LOS of a large target and DOES get hit by the spell. In the "fluff" part it says he floats up and down, but the rules are very clear: "his line of sight is worked out as if the Mage-Priest himself was a large target", it says nothing about any magic phases. It also makes sense, if an actual warhammer battle would take place they wouldnt fight in turns, as soon as the Slann floated up to cast a spell he would see the casket and get hit.

Bibamus is also right in that the unit takes the hit even tho only the slann can see it. If you had a normal character on the corner of the unit and the unit is angled so only that character can see the casket you would'nt hit the character, you'd hit the unit.

15. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Must be my fever playing up again, you are right. I have no idea why I thought that you could use the whole unit for a wizard, would make for some pretty cheesy range measures on a single ranked large unit! :p So definitely measure from the Slann not the edge of the unit.